Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened Thursday Night.

Okay so I am sitting in my Jeep in a convenience store parking lot. Answering a phone call before I go in. All of a sudden there is all this commotion right outside my drivers side window. A Sheriffs Deputy tackled a dude right there!

But it gets better. Merlin was in the Jeep in his crate behind the drivers seat. When they picked the guy up, they leaned him against my rear drivers door to finish checking him out. Merlin was BALLISTIC!!! He was banging the crate against the window (I was a bit concerned he was going to break it and his teeth on the metal crate.) The guy's face was pressed against the window. Merlin was right there. Slobber flying. He is in full on fight mode. Those of you familar with fight drives, he was about a 12 on a 1-10 scale. He is shaking the Jeep trying to get at the guy.

Looking over my left shoulder I can see this guys face pressed against my window. His eyes were HUGE. The entire thing struck me as funny and I got to laughing so hard I could hardly breath.

When they got the guy sorted out, I got out. One of the deputies apologized about leaning the guy against the jeep.... His next words were, what the hell is that in the cage.... A couple of the Deputies wanted me to get Merlin out so they could see him. But he was too jazzed up. I declined. Not a good moment for a visit. Then I got asked if he is mean. I said, no he is nice. He just gets offended when people touch his Jeep.

Since then, I have heard, third hand the guy was in the midst of breaking in to a house with an elderly couple at home. 911 had been called. The homeowner pointed a gun at the guy and he bailed out the way he came in. The police chased him through some yards then a wooded area. At some point, he supposedly point a gun at one of the Deputies.

He was running right towards the front door of the convenience store. So I have no idea what he was thinking. When they tackled him by my Jeep, he had no gun. So if he had one, he tossed it somewhere.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How exciting! I am so glad that you didn't let him out after all the racket! I can only imagine how AMPED he was!

When I stepped out of the vehicle, I gave him an "out" command and "quiet" and he chilled right down. But he was looking for someone to have a go with. While he was quiet and obeyed, he was still standing square and rigid in his crate. So he had not let go of the moment yet. And really the moment had not really passed. There were flashing lights, Deputies all over the place..... So if I had taken him out, he would have been ready to go. Any little thing would have ramped him right back up. So a visit was a bad idea. I certainly did not want to have to crank down on him and correct him for anything at that point. He had just displayed what to me was a very positive behavior.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
What an amusing story. I believe it just made my morning! Lol! I can see the look on the guys face in my minds eye and it is hilarious! :) Could have been much scarier if the guy still had the gun though.
Merlin could have been a week day warrior! ......

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My boss has the best Idea after the fact.

He said I should have hit the switch and rolled down the window.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
LMAO!!! I'd have been scared shitless too!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts