Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting to the point where I can barely handle it anymore, making me think of alternatives, like finding someone to take him, but that's not what I want to do at all.

I have a 2 1/2 year old pure blood German Shepherd. When he's at home with me, he's awesome, just chills out, he'll play with me whenever, and just acts great. Anytime he gets anywhere near any other animal, he just goes batshit crazy. I can't do anything to calm him down, and makes me feel like a jackass.

Recently, he's been getting really bad anxiety around people too when we're anywhere but home. He snapped at someone when I wasn't there, A friend was watching him when I was out of town.

I had him at my girlfriend's tonight and he was acting fine, laying down, calm. Her mom had pet him and gave him snacks when he first walked in, and he acted great, just hanging out. We were in the living room watching t.v., and she walked in and he started growling and barking really aggressively and ran at her. He didn't bite her or anything but he sounded extremely mean. I have never seen him act like this before, I don't understand why he did this, he's usually so good around people. It's like he's just getting worse.

I really don't want to get rid of my dog, he's been an awesome dog, I just don't understand what the problem is. With my schedule I have to leave him either alone or with family a lot and I don't want to spend the next 10 years wondering if he's gonna bite someone or act completely stupid around other dogs and just drive people insane.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm about to lose my mind with this dog.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm getting to the point where I can barely handle it anymore, making me think of alternatives, like finding someone to take him, but that's not what I want to do at all.

I have a 2 1/2 year old pure blood German Shepherd. When he's at home with me, he's awesome, just chills out, he'll play with me whenever, and just acts great. Anytime he gets anywhere near any other animal, he just goes batshit crazy. I can't do anything to calm him down, and makes me feel like a jackass.

Recently, he's been getting really bad anxiety around people too when we're anywhere but home. He snapped at someone when I wasn't there, A friend was watching him when I was out of town.

I had him at my girlfriend's tonight and he was acting fine, laying down, calm. Her mom had pet him and gave him snacks when he first walked in, and he acted great, just hanging out. We were in the living room watching t.v., and she walked in and he started growling and barking really aggressively and ran at her. He didn't bite her or anything but he sounded extremely mean. I have never seen him act like this before, I don't understand why he did this, he's usually so good around people. It's like he's just getting worse.

I really don't want to get rid of my dog, he's been an awesome dog, I just don't understand what the problem is. With my schedule I have to leave him either alone or with family a lot and I don't want to spend the next 10 years wondering if he's gonna bite someone or act completely stupid around other dogs and just drive people insane.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm about to lose my mind with this dog.

The moody behavior could be allergies. Can you stop with the kibble or any grain-based food? Perhaps, for a period of time. Switch to raw meat and bones. See what happens. I hope it solves the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The problems he is having sound pretty serious, considering he's a German Shepherd and very capable of hurting someone. Honestly I'd recommend finding a trainer that can either come to your house and work with him, or take him in a program for a little while... It's possible too to learn on your own some training techniques to address the problem on your own, but my concern is that it'd be a more difficult problem for you to take on from the start and it's really important to make sure that he's safe to be around others. I'd definitely search for a good solution, even if it is initially going to be more costly financially, because it would really suck to give up your puppy because it feels like there's an impossible problem that could be resolved easily enough with the help of a professional. Best of luck!

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Get him into the vet to have his thyroid levels checked. Behavior changes, often towards aggression, can be caused by a thyroid problem.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree with a vet check, especially if he's been getting worse. Changes in behavior could be due to health issues. That said, if he's always had issues, then it may just be behavioral, and not health. Not all dogs are friendly and love people. Some dogs are fearful, and act out; people often mistake fearful behavior for plain old aggression.
There are people on this forum who have dogs that react to different triggers, and, while we work on these issues, we are careful of what situations we put our dogs in, knowing what their challenges are.

One of my dogs is dog reactive, meaning he's fearful of other dogs, so he acts out when he sees them. He is getting much better. Now we can get within 3-4 feet of another dog and he's ok. Back in the day, he couldn't handle being within 20 feet of another dog. But, knowing that he is still fearful, I am always careful to not put him in a situation I know he can't handle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HELP

i have had my cavalier for 3years hes a boy but i have now also got a girl pupp whose 18weeks old thinking they would get along great same breed and everything only my 3yr old has always been very calm and has been my centre of attention like a baby hes never really ever liked any other dogs apart from my cat he grew up with he is scared of all other dogs my 18wqeek old pup on the other hand is very lively and never sits still and always wants to play with him and chases after him i cant seem to get him to play/like/get on with the pupp he cowers away n shakes what do i do???? oh n its only been 3day they been together

·
Registered
334 Posts
Honestly, I'd go to a professional for help with this. Let them evaluate your dog--see the dog firsthand and see what kind of help they can give you. This is something I wouldn't personally "wait and see" or try "this or that". I'd go straight to the big dogs because this could be a real serious problem very quick if you can't get control of the situation, in the RIGHT way. In the meantime, do not allow him off leash in anyone else's home (if you must take him there). Keep him with you at all times. And I would reconsider letting anyone else watch him, until you know exactly what you are dealing with and why.

Best of luck to you--and him.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have to agree with the other posters, visiting a trainer, even for a free consult can help you get a better idea of what is going on. Figuratively speaking, the leash is just as conductive as copper wire! No joke. If I take my dog to the park when I'm overly anxious, she acts like a hooligan. If I can get a grip on myself, she's just fine. Nothing wrong with my dog, I can just be squirrely sometimes, and my dog picks up on it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I also have a younger german shepherd and within this breed socialization is a big key from early on. Mine is 6 months old and in her 3rd obedience class. I wouldn't rule out the thyroid problem either. I would start with medical and then go to behavior and I would do it asap. You really don't want this dog to hurt someone.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
HELP

i have had my cavalier for 3years hes a boy but i have now also got a girl pupp whose 18weeks old thinking they would get along great same breed and everything only my 3yr old has always been very calm and has been my centre of attention like a baby hes never really ever liked any other dogs apart from my cat he grew up with he is scared of all other dogs my 18wqeek old pup on the other hand is very lively and never sits still and always wants to play with him and chases after him i cant seem to get him to play/like/get on with the pupp he cowers away n shakes what do i do???? oh n its only been 3day they been together
Walk them briskly together for 40 min twice a day. Only allow them to stop and sniff to pee somewhere about once or twice. Otherwise, keep walking FAST. Dogs will bond on walks. It's amazing, but really does work. It'll also get out the excess energy of the young one, and help her be calmer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts