Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Additionally, you don't know how much they're eating. It's very possible the dog would eat ALL the food. Keeping a dog out of cat food is relativly easy, just put it up where the dog can't get. We used to have ours on top of the dryer. It would be harder to keep a cat out of dog food, but I've never heard of that happening.
haha i know, cats are very picky/delicate eaters, but i think our cat has some identity issues so he is starting to eat some table scraps like the dogs, just the other day we fed him a mcdonalds fry and he ate it ! but we r planning on moving after we sell the house...obviously lol so when we do im getting another cat, even though him and my smallest dog play together all the time !

·
Registered
704 Posts
I figured it was better to resurrect an old thread instead of cluttering everything by starting yet another thread about something that's already been discussed.
Obviously feeding a dog cat food is not a balanced diet or a good idea but I'm in a predicament. I have about a dozen or so cans of cat food that my cat refuses to eat. It's Nutro Natural Choice, so fairly decent quality. He just turns his nose up at this particular flavour. Is there any reason I can't use it up as a topper on my dogs kibble so it doesn't go to waste?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
No reason not to. My dogs gets lots of leftover cat food. As a topper it's just fine.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I figured it was better to resurrect an old thread instead of cluttering everything by starting yet another thread about something that's already been discussed.
Obviously feeding a dog cat food is not a balanced diet or a good idea but I'm in a predicament. I have about a dozen or so cans of cat food that my cat refuses to eat. It's Nutro Natural Choice, so fairly decent quality. He just turns his nose up at this particular flavour. Is there any reason I can't use it up as a topper on my dogs kibble so it doesn't go to waste?
You could also donate it to a local shelter. :)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I would go very light with it but you could use it. I would go light because of the high fat content plus some dogs don't stomach it well. You could also donate it to a local pet food drive/shelter they are always in need of food. I will say when Blue was ill last I made her a mix of pumpkin and rice and put just a touch of canned cat food (maybe a spoonful) mixed in it to encourage her to eat it. The cats smelled it and kept getting into it too of course my male cat likes pumpkin really well.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Donating it was my first thought, but as crazy as this may sound the nearest shelter to me is about 30 minutes away and will only feed iams products :/
You think they'd be grateful for whatever they could get but they're completely ridiculous. OSPCA. Not a non profit and not a no kill. Basically the chairman makes $200k a year but then they put down healthy animals because they don't have the space for them. Or because they have ringworm. Or whatever other bogus excuse they can find to save money and pay their board of directors more.
I offered it to the cat adoption lady at my local Petsmart and she scoffed and told me they only feed SD dry. Gross.
Animal welfare places around here are ludicrous.
My dog has gotten into the cats food many times in the past and never had an issue and he LOVES it so unless there's something I'm missing, I figured I'd spoil him a bit.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
For a while, our Bichon mix would only eat cat food. Dry or canned... So that's what he ate for a while. He's no worse for wear and still prefers cat food (always stealing from the cats).

Comparing nutrients, they're not all that different.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts