Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have been wondering if a dog could eat cat food. I spend a lot of money on the nicer brands of dog food for both of my dogs, but even with dog food coupons I end up spending a lot on both dogs. The food I use on my cat does not cost as much though. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
no, not a good idea. cats and dogs have differing needs in the nutrient department and by feeding your dog cat food they wont be getting the right amounts of what they need.

if your dog food is too expensive, do some research, look around and find a new food.

What food do you feed?

·
Registered
202 Posts
NO NO NO!

Cat food is cat food for a reason. Dog food is dog food for a reason.

What are you currently feeding for dog food?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
For goodness sakes, what do you feed your cat?!? Most cat foods cost WAY more than dog food.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
A lot of dogs like to eat cat food because it's higher in fat (I think? I know there's something that attracts them but I'm blanking on what.), but it's really not good for them. For the short period of time I had a cat and a dog in the same house, it was a real problem and I'm pretty sure I recall other members having to make sure the dog didn't eat the cat's food. The higher level of taurine is also too much for dogs.

Although, from the link I suspect this is just spam/advertising.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
I fixed the spamming...carry on...

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Our pup got into the cats food (couple mouths full) and I came home to a pretty messy crate. Thankfully it only lasted a day. I felt bad for the guy though. Only feed your dog the best you can afford. (dog food)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Our dog throws up if she ever gets into the cats food (the cat has to be fed on the dishwasher)

But I think the OP just found a topic they knew everyone would want to check out and posted a spam link ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't be silly. Use your brain and buy the right food for the right pet. Don't cut corners. You'll end up with a sick canine and vet bill's galore.

·
Registered
328 Posts
For goodness sakes, what do you feed your cat?!? Most cat foods cost WAY more than dog food.
I was going to say, I WISH my cat food was as cheap as my dog food. Even from the same brand, cat food is always more expensive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ya its fine ! but cat food has higher fat content and so the only thing that will happen to the dog if he eats would, be getting fat :p but my dogs eat the cat food and the cat eats the dog food ! so its all good !

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
ya its fine ! but cat food has higher fat content and so the only thing that will happen to the dog if he eats would, be getting fat :p but my dogs eat the cat food and the cat eats the dog food ! so its all good !
Not if the cat eats too much dog food and not enough cat food. There is a nutrient that cats need (taurine) that's added to cat food but not added to dog food, and a deficit of taurine WILL kill a cat....so be careful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not if the cat eats too much dog food and not enough cat food. There is a nutrient that cats need (taurine) that's added to cat food but not added to dog food, and a deficit of taurine WILL kill a cat....so be careful.
yaya i know. cats are have more of a sour tooth, cuz cats cant sates sugar.amd dogs are more of a sweet tooth, but i had to actually pout the cats food up so the dogs wouldnt eat it on him ! and i know if cats dont eat their food they cna get skinny ! but i fianlly mixed there food together so that they equally get what they need !
i feed them orijen so i know its pricey but its a good brand !
sorry i was gonna ask , could u get taurine vitamines for cats ?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
You can get taurine supplements. I don't know where, but someone who feeds their cats a home-prepared diet would know. That's not the only difference in dog and cat foods---they're made for that particular species and aren't appropriate for the other species. I simply don't recommend mixing dog and cat food for them both to eat. I recommend feeding them separately.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Additionally, you don't know how much they're eating. It's very possible the dog would eat ALL the food. Keeping a dog out of cat food is relativly easy, just put it up where the dog can't get. We used to have ours on top of the dryer. It would be harder to keep a cat out of dog food, but I've never heard of that happening.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts