Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found myself in a bad situation the other night.... All alone with no phone! Took the dogs to the creek and Shelby jumped in at a spot where she couldn't climb back up so she started drowning herself and swim further down so Roush and me tried to catch her further down up on the banks. We ran into a cottonmouth and I told Roush screw it let's go back up top! Shelby found herself a little spot that was snake infested literally and got bit on the leg pretty bad. It was a spot that I could not get to but I did anyways and jumped down and then saw some snakes crawling around my feet! All babies with green immature tails and a fully grown big one! I picked Shelby up and threw her on top of the bank as far as I could then tried to save myself and jump up and the entire bank collapsed with snakes going everywhere along my feet! Heck I had my face in the dirt and finger nails holding on tight kicking trying to pull myself up..... I never did get bit though thank goodness. Had to carry Shelby a couple miles back to the car she is doing better now poor thing is swollen up. Wild night!!! Had to face my worst fear literally!

The morning after picture.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been keeping her on Benadryl & Amoxocilin the past few days and now the swelling is starting to come down a little and she is in better spirits and a lot more active. Jumping up and down etc.... Think she is going to be just fine.

She got bit by two baby cottonmouths. Be careful if you're out by those creeks!

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Wow! What a scary living nightmare! Is Shelby going to be ok? That could have been worse than worse ... glad otherwise everyone human and dog is doing well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is my worst fear..... Getting stuck somewhere I can't get out of and being snake bit, alone with no way to contact anybody and the sun setting. We made it out of there and back to the car right before it got dark.

I was just glad to be able to save my dog I didn't want to leave her there. When Roush and me ran back up the bank and back around to Shelby we heard her start crying in pain and she wouldn't move. Roush would NOT go down that specific bank.(Roush is brother to Shelby) I was either going to leave her there or jump my butt down there and go retrieve her. Stupid mistake on my part was having no phone and sun going down and no means to get to safety for a couple miles. Scary feeling when I hit that ground and snakes were all over it was just instant grab the dog and throw her up there to safety then I'll worry about myself just glad I got out of there and I'm at work today.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
That would be my worst nightmare! Snakes in water freak me out. My dogs lfe being threatened would terrify me. Both at once...UGH!!!!

·
Registered
751 Posts
As much as i love snakes, that too is my worst fear Koda getting bit by one or a spider ( which isnt an issue in newfoundland LOL )

Hope to see that leg all better soon!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Tell me about it, we have 2 lakes here where I live & I always worry about the dogs swimming there (one is the hole that catches the drainage off our wash racks & the walker & such so we don't go any where near there, but Jo is pretty snake proof, she will alert on a snake, lizard, turtle etc lol.

But yeah, that's scary!!!! The things we do for our dogs lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't mean to be such an alarmist, but have you asked your vet about an anti-venom or other treatment? Cottonmouth venom is not a neurotoxin but it does cause tissue destruction. Necrosis is not always the result but something I would be concerned about. The venom of a baby is identical to the venom of it's adult and can therefore be just as dangerous as an adult snake bite.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't mean to be such an alarmist, but have you asked your vet about an anti-venom or other treatment? Cottonmouth venom is not a neurotoxin but it does cause tissue destruction. Necrosis is not always the result but something I would be concerned about. The venom of a baby is identical to the venom of it's adult and can therefore be just as dangerous as an adult snake bite.
The anti-venom is too expensive to carry around at all times and doesn't have a very long shelf life so it's really not worth it from what I've been told about carrying it into the field with you as much as we go. I've talked to my vet and he told me all they would do is give her some steroids and Benadryl which is what I'm already doing. Dex is some really great stuff and works wonders as well.

Just been using Benadryl, Amoxocilin & water therapy treatment plus gave her some vitamin C and she seems to be doing much better and the swelling has gone down some.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts