Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My coton is 1.5 years old and still goes potty in the house. No one in my family can figure him out. He is crate trained and will not go potty at all in his crate. He is very intelligent. He does exactly what I says, knows tricks, and knows that going potty in the house is bad because he puts his head down when we say his name after he relieves himself. My vet did say that it was bad to yell at the animal when he goes potty in the house. Is that accurate because I have no idea how to tell him that that is bad.

This is what makes it so confusing. Sometimes we lock him upstairs during the day and he will NOT go potty alllll day long. It's almost like he goes to the bathroom while people are home because we won't play with him or something. If we crate him while we're home he just cries, cries, cries. Even when we take him outside to go potty, it takes him about 5-7 minutes to even find a spot to go potty. We've tried pee pads, the bell, even a diaper. I'm out of ideas, and money to clean my carpet.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
do you have him on a regular potty schedule. Not waiting for your dog to give you a sign to take him out... but have him on a time of day schedule, interval time schedule, to take him out to go potty.. On lead, no play time .. Just out to do his business and right back in the house.. Play times outside or completely separate. It is easier to restrict a dog who is having potty issues to a smaller section of the house and even smaller if you still have an accident. If the dog is still going potty in the house they still need basic potty training especially around the situations that they do go potty in the house.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess i'm not sure what kind of potty schedule he needs. We give him about 6 potty breaks a day. Some days he goes with no accidents in the house, some days he has accidents all day. I also forgot to add that we take him out to go potty then sometimes he'll come back in and not 5 minutes later he'll go pee about the size of a quarter. very frustrating.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
If you haven't had him checked for any medical issues ? Take him in with a urine sample to have tested always helpful to do a fecal at the same time.. That way your vet can give a good hands on look if they feel it's important to have him in office or you can drop off the fresh samples at your vet for testing instead of having to pay full office visit charges.. If the test come back positive for anything your vet may want to see them.

A potty schedule would be the same time every day, and after events like waking up in the morning , after meals, depending on what works time intervals like every 30 mins,, every hour, or every 4 hours ... Trying to figure out what time between potty works for your pup..

with the really bad days happening for multiple accidents I would like to rule out medical issues.. And then I would set up small area for the pup to have access to being a part of what is going on in the house hold and his family, but keep the area of damage small, and in a position you can watch him more closely to see if you can pick up any types of patterns that will more alert you that your pup needs to go.. For such a small breed maybe even a play pen will work when yall are there to make sure they are safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts