Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
Ugh, I know. I don't know what I'll do if Diamond foods are recalled or have availability issues here. Even Professional, Natural Balance, Solid Gold, and Premium Edge are made at a Diamond plant! And that's about all the foods that are locally available and are reasonably affordable. Maybe Blue Buffalo, if I have to. . .

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
Well, I don't harbor any illusions that pet food plants are clean and sanitary places, LOL. A place that deals with random dead animal parts is going to be icky. And I don't think that salmonella will make a healthy dog or cat sick (at least with the bacterial load found in pet food--if they eat rotting old dead things out of the ditch, maybe). Otherwise I wouldn't feed my pets raw chicken. It my opinion that if they tested all pet food (including fresh meats) for salmonella and recalled it if it tested positive, there wouldn't be anything left to feed our pets. And I'm always careful when handling kibble. My main worry is availability. If the shelves are empty, what can I buy?

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
If the food is never tested, there's never a recall. . .

I guarantee you that kibble in the 80s was just as bacteria-ridden. Maybe more.

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
Because they didn't test for it, LOL. And even if they did, the tests now are more sensitive.

And, no, I don't think they thought pet food was important enough to recall.

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
plus there was no internet to spread about the recalls
Before the internet, if something was recalled they contacted the stores that sell their product, the store put up notices, and people would return the defective merchandise. If it was something really dangerous they maybe put a small article in the newspaper. But, yeah, most people probably didn't know when there was a recall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts