Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the vet with my puppy, who just got her last puppy shots... The exam and shots were $218.75.....

Then I asked for a rough idea of what it would cost for her spaying... and I was almost floored! The range was $471 - $617, depending on a couple of things. Yikes ( it has been a decade since I last had to pay for spaying a puppy )

When I got home, our cleaning lady told me about a spaying program from a group called "Friends of Animals. She said her whole cost to have her GSD spayed was about $100. I have never heard of this organization. I will do research, and if it all goes well, I may go that route.

What would your vet charge?

And what do you know about the Friends of Animals spaying program?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
My vet quoted me for about a 400 dollar spay when Bella weighed 28 pounds (I wasn't getting it done just seeing what it would have looked liked at her now 40 pounds).

My friends vet said they'd spay her for something like 185 as long as she didn't weight over 50 pounds.

I don't know anything about that program but I know my local SPCA offers a low-cost spay/neuter clinic. It would cost me 165 to take her there (where she'll be going anyway when it is time to be spayed I like to donate to them). The cost also includes the pain killers and the cone (at least at mine). So you could look into that as well.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The local shelter offers spay/neuter assistance. They'll cover the cost of the surgery, the owner chooses the vet and is responsible for pre/post-op costs.

Im not sure what the cost will be to have Buster neutered. I imagine it wont be cheap considering he's about 140lbs (havent had him weighed in a while).

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
There can be a lot of differences in the spay neuter process. Personally, I'm willing to pay the extra to have inhalent anesthesia, laser surgery, one licensed tech helping the vet while another licensed tech monitors the pulse-ox machine, good monitoring coming out of anesthesia and good pain meds on board. That does not mean that every vet who charges more does these things. But it is stuff I would definitiely ask about.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
When I rescued Abbylynn she was sent to an organization called "Angels for Animals" and was spayed there. I believe they are out of Pittsburgh, PA. I paid $100 for Abbylynn, spay, bloodwork, license, and adoption fee all included. You may want to check out this organization. I am not sure if they work with only rescues or individuals. My paperwork reads; www.vettechinstitute.com

I also have an address and telephone number for them. You could PM me for them if you'd like.

Since it is located in Pennsylvania it may be worth looking into for you Niraya. I am not sure where you are at OP? Other than that, here in my area in Ohio. my vet charges $106-$112 for spay/neuter.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I'll look into it! Thanks, Abby! I imagine though that they do it as a discounted price for shelters/rescues. I have family out there I"ll ask if anyone knows about it. It would only be made easy to get out there if my dad is going to Michigan. Otherwise it's a 6 hour drive for me!

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I live in Michigan, so things are fairly inexpensive. I believe I paid $90 for Smalls to be spayed, and that was with all the bells and whistles. $50 for Jonas. I have not gotten a quote on Shambles since he's only 11 months old and I'm not sure if I'm going to go through with it, but it'll be my first BIG dog quote. When I lived in Ann Arbor, however, I was quoted nearly $400 for Jonas to be fixed. That was with an employee discount. On an 11 lbs dog.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Im in Michigan as well (mid-mi), and our vet said $130 to spay Ziva, and $40 to give a microchip at that time.

those are some insane prices. I know there are sometimes traveling/mobile vet clinics that can be cheaper.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Juno's was just over $200. She was about 30-40 pounds at the time. That price included laser surgery, but we did not do pre-anesthetic bloodwork and there were no pain meds.

That was a small, inexpensive clinic though.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Buff was about $250 at the local humane society. I know there was a risk of getting it done there as opposed to a regular vet, but I had taken both my cats there with no problems (a male and female), and I generally like the vets there.

Her spay would've been free from the rescue I got her from, but I wanted to get it done locally instead (not that the rescue was that far away). So they refunded me $100 of her adoption fee after it was done.

She had no complications but does have a huge scar.

Edit: It did include a few days' worth of pain meds.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
All the vets here spay a less than 10 lb dog for between 350-500. If your dog is heavier then it's more expensive. I ended up going to the SPCA clinic because it was around $175. However, you don't get pain killers or antibiotics after the spay for your dog and honestly in my opinion unless there's a problem, they shouldn't need it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
$75 for pre-op blood work (optional, but I opted) and $70 for a small dog spay.

I live in Southwest Texas where there are a LOT of dog owners and lower incomes than the national average. I think those two things bring vet prices down.

Coco got spayed two weeks ago. She was back on her feet that day, and back to normal in 3 days. Her scar is very small, and she required only 3 stiches, which have since been removed.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
In my area it will cost me $350 to have a 10 pound Miniature Pinscher Neutered. We were quoted $400 for our female Basenji to be spayed. When we lived in Lexington I had my english mastiff 175 pound neutered for $225, that would cost $650 here.

·
Registered
475 Posts
We went to an SPCA spay/neuter clinic. Neuter was $100 for Jasper's size. Neuters at the clinic run $100 - $168 depending on size of dog, spay runs $132 - $230 again depending on size. You can also have these costs reduced for low-income needs. [reference]

·
Registered
731 Posts
If you want to go a cheaper route look up "low cost spay" in your area. Some vets offices do a speutering day at low cost sometimes, some organizations/shelters do it, or there are clinics dedicated just the speutering/shots.

The main difference is that instead of keeping your dog overnight and monitoring her, these are usually AM procedures and they want you to pick up your dog before the afternoon is done. Also they don't do a pre operation blood panel and you have to sign a waiver for that. I just keep my ER vet number handy incase something of an issue arises.

I went this route for my current two and went to a clinic that speutering just does/shots. At the vet they wanted $300- 400 each, plus the blood panel which is $75 and $50 for their vaccinations. When I got them I just had LuLu cremated and I was sent to urgent care right after so not exactly liquid. Gweeb for his shots, a odd growing tooth pulled, pain meds, nails clipped and his neutering which ended up like $130 and Jezzy I did the next paycheck after him for $140 for her spay, meds, shots, nails clipped. I ended up going to my vet for a check up and panel only. Going the clinic route saved me hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The main difference is that instead of keeping your dog overnight and monitoring her, these are usually AM procedures and they want you to pick up your dog before the afternoon is done.
This is what we did with Jasper at the SPCA clinic. Intake is at 8am, pickup is between 4pm and 6pm.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts