Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my little boy has been amazing with getting the concept of doing his business outside. We took him in at 9weeks old and he is about to be 7 months in October. He has never ever went poop in the house or crate (knock on wood). And went pee on the carpet like 3 times from 9wks-7 months.
But the other day I was sitting on the laptop he came right in front of me and took a slight tinkle on the rug right in front of me no warning or going to the door to be let out. So my question is. This late in the process how should I correct this if it happens again? This last time I just stopped him took him out and let him finish outside.

He's getting neutered in a few days incase this was just early stage of marking. Will that help?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Potty training is a process, and lots of things can cause a puppy to have setbacks: teething, UTI, illness, changes in routine, changes in environment (even something as simple as re-arranging furniture or getting new furniture).

Your response was right. Interrupt him, take him out, let him finish outside. Clean up the mess without scolding, with an enzymatic cleaner. And, maybe go back to the basics of potty training, by taking him outside to potty a few extra times during the day, and by limiting his freedom to roam the house out of your sight, to prevent more accidents.

If he seems to continue to have accidents, and nothing in your lives has changed, it would be worth it to take him to a vet to rule out UTI.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts