Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's been one of those days...need something to lighten the mood.

So! I have been contemplating a third dog for a while now (with DH's approval don't worry). I am on a waiting list for a litter that may or may not happen...it's a ways away yet regardless (what breed? it's a secret :p). Plus there's always the chance that we will get another mystery rescue instead...but anyway.

Requirements/Preferences:

- Enjoys teamwork. I realize any dog can be trained and all that, but I do a lot of training and I really LIKE to do training...I prefer a dog that likes it back. This is not necessarily the same as being *easy* to train, lol.

- Reasonably able to adapt to both heat and cold. Here on the prairie temperatures range from -30F to 95F in a given year. I am fine with a dog-coat if needed, but some breeds would suffer even wearing that despite limited exposure.

- Not much smaller than Web at the smallest...not much larger than Kim at the largest. (17" 23lbs; 23.5" 53 lbs...height being more important) I don't intrinsically mind dogs outside that range, but after dealing with the problems that arise from having two dogs of such different sizes, I don't want to exasperate the issue.

- Activity/Training- In a given week we usually run 3-4 days, walk others, go to the park for long-lead work, do agility a couple days, formal obedience, goofy obedience, rally, tricks, Webster does therapy dog, hiking when we can, plus the usual playing fetch/games/puzzles/etc. The more of these things the new dog can do and enjoy (eventually and with training) while being physically safe the better. On the other hand I cannot take my dogs to work with me, and I don't foresee that changing any time soon (if ever).

- Be...interesting (for lack of a better word). I like thinkers...the dogs that try to out-think you and are always trying something new. Not afraid to throw something out in right field just to see how you handle it. Basically I'm not after a dog who is blindly obedient, as some breeds seem bred to be.

- Wash & Wear within reason. I brush my dogs every other day or so (outside of shedding season), trim nails weekly, clean ears, and give them baths as needed...no more grooming required than that, please!

That's about all I can think of...thanks in advance for any suggestions :) Criticism welcome as well lol

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hmmm lots of interesting suggestions -- thanks guy!

My thoughts...

Keeshond - Totally didn't see this one coming lol. They are neat dogs but I would need to know more about them.

Entlebucher Sennenhund - Same as above though I have at least looked into these before...very neat dogs.

Shiba Inu - They are adorable but a little too small for me...and I'm not really sure the would work out well with all the obedience/agility/etc. stuff I like to do. Definitely have the sense of humor going for them though!

Airedale Terrier - These are not the dogs for me lol. I know several and...no. But thanks!

Shelties - Another interesting choice. They are great little dogs and if I ever get a small dog they will be high up on the list, but again I think too small, and that coat is a lot of work! (I know "larger" shelties are pretty common...just going by breed norms here).

Border Collie - Okay, here's the thing. Most Border Collies I know are nuts. And obedience is practically a compulsion with them ("Shall I sit like this? Or this? How bout this? This?"). While I understand that they are incredible working and performance dogs, my dogs are pets first and I'm not sure that I would enjoy one as a pet...they take life WAY too seriously. If I found a stable (smooth- or mid-coated) one I might consider it. (Disclaimer: Most BCs I know are owned by people deeply into agility or obedience so maybe they've just chosen the most frenetic examples of the breed)

Toller - These guys are adorable. I would definitely consider one lol...again would need to learn more, and I think they can be pretty hard to find.

Flat-Coated Retriever - Again I think they can be pretty hard to find, but they are fantastic dogs. The short life span is concerning.

Aussie - Another interesting suggestion...they are very neat dogs. Definitely capable of anything I would want to do and more. The lack of a tail always seems so weird to me lol.

Australian Cattle Dog - Thanks Bandit for giving such an in-depth description of the breed! I really didn't know much about them...they seem like characters (and talented ones at that!). The vid links were great!

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just remembered this thread and thought I'd say...

I'm the only one who thought a FCR or a Toller?

I was actually already moving toward an FCR (someday) when I made this thread but as a result of your guys' suggestions there are several breeds I would seriously consider for the future...especially ACDs, Aussies (tailed if possible), and Tollers.

Thanks (much delayed) for playing!

'course if anyone has other suggestions I would be happy to hear them, but I have my hands full for a long while :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.