Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been one of those days...need something to lighten the mood.

So! I have been contemplating a third dog for a while now (with DH's approval don't worry). I am on a waiting list for a litter that may or may not happen...it's a ways away yet regardless (what breed? it's a secret :p). Plus there's always the chance that we will get another mystery rescue instead...but anyway.

Requirements/Preferences:

- Enjoys teamwork. I realize any dog can be trained and all that, but I do a lot of training and I really LIKE to do training...I prefer a dog that likes it back. This is not necessarily the same as being *easy* to train, lol.

- Reasonably able to adapt to both heat and cold. Here on the prairie temperatures range from -30F to 95F in a given year. I am fine with a dog-coat if needed, but some breeds would suffer even wearing that despite limited exposure.

- Not much smaller than Web at the smallest...not much larger than Kim at the largest. (17" 23lbs; 23.5" 53 lbs...height being more important) I don't intrinsically mind dogs outside that range, but after dealing with the problems that arise from having two dogs of such different sizes, I don't want to exasperate the issue.

- Activity/Training- In a given week we usually run 3-4 days, walk others, go to the park for long-lead work, do agility a couple days, formal obedience, goofy obedience, rally, tricks, Webster does therapy dog, hiking when we can, plus the usual playing fetch/games/puzzles/etc. The more of these things the new dog can do and enjoy (eventually and with training) while being physically safe the better. On the other hand I cannot take my dogs to work with me, and I don't foresee that changing any time soon (if ever).

- Be...interesting (for lack of a better word). I like thinkers...the dogs that try to out-think you and are always trying something new. Not afraid to throw something out in right field just to see how you handle it. Basically I'm not after a dog who is blindly obedient, as some breeds seem bred to be.

- Wash & Wear within reason. I brush my dogs every other day or so (outside of shedding season), trim nails weekly, clean ears, and give them baths as needed...no more grooming required than that, please!

That's about all I can think of...thanks in advance for any suggestions :) Criticism welcome as well lol

·
Registered
343 Posts
a keeshond, maybe? They're great dogs...smart, can do agility easily, beautiful (JMHO)...

perfect size that you're wanting...

they're usually one of the most over looked breeds. my mom really liked that about them.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Will you take Xena? :D

I'm done refilling the holes she digs everyday... that and the chewing of the fences.. She's lucky she's cute..

If you are going to get another rescue, make sure he/she is not related to XENA. :D

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
- Be...interesting (for lack of a better word). I like thinkers...the dogs that try to out-think you and are always trying something new. Not afraid to throw something out in right field just to see how you handle it. Basically I'm not after a dog who is blindly obedient, as some breeds seem bred to be.

- Wash & Wear within reason. I brush my dogs every other day or so (outside of shedding season), trim nails weekly, clean ears, and give them baths as needed...no more grooming required than that, please!
A Shiba Inu :D My Akira would be perfect for you I guess. I realise that they're not ALL like that but yeah !

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Shaina you might as well face facts. You need to get a Border Collie. You are a competitive gal. Just think of those 200 point scores. :d :)

Now, had you said "I would really like a challenge for my next dog" I would have suggested A Rottie. :) I could also sit back and enjoy all of the stories like " I just got back from class where my dogs sat on me the whole time." LOL ;)

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Sheltie. Border collie or Aussie as well. Sheltie popped to mind first though.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I thought GSD until I saw the parts about size about training predictability (and even grooming to some degree)

I think you already know that most of the popular herders would be good for you... I don't think Akira's suggestion of a Shiba is bad. I've seen some Shibas tearing up Agility courses in videos.

·
Premium Member
8,881 Posts
It's been one of those days...need something to lighten the mood.

So! I have been contemplating a third dog for a while now (with DH's approval don't worry). I am on a waiting list for a litter that may or may not happen...it's a ways away yet regardless. Plus there's always the chance that we will get another mystery rescue instead...but anyway.

Requirements/Preferences:

- Enjoys teamwork. I realize any dog can be trained and all that, but I do a lot of training and I really LIKE to do training...I prefer a dog that likes it back. This is not necessarily the same as being *easy* to train, lol.

- Reasonably able to adapt to both heat and cold. Here on the prairie temperatures range from -30F to 95F in a given year. I am fine with a dog-coat if needed, but some breeds would suffer even wearing that despite limited exposure.

- Not much smaller than Web at the smallest...not much larger than Kim at the largest. (17" 23lbs; 23.5" 53 lbs...height being more important) I don't intrinsically mind dogs outside that range, but after dealing with the problems that arise from having two dogs of such different sizes, I don't want to exasperate the issue.

- Activity/Training- In a given week we usually run 3-4 days, walk others, go to the park for long-lead work, do agility a couple days, formal obedience, goofy obedience, rally, tricks, Webster does therapy dog, hiking when we can, plus the usual playing fetch/games/puzzles/etc. The more of these things the new dog can do and enjoy (eventually and with training) while being physically safe the better. On the other hand I cannot take my dogs to work with me, and I don't foresee that changing any time soon (if ever).

That's about all I can think of...thanks in advance for any suggestions :) Criticism welcome as well lol
You nearly described a Border Collie.

But......

You pretty much described an Australian Cattle Dog.

They love to train and are highly trainable. But that doesn't mean they are easily trained. BC's and Aussies are much more biddable. ACD's are pretty well convinced they are smarter than you.

They love to do what you do. They will ATTACK adventures. They are always looking for a new game, a harder game, to change the game.

Semi short haired (GSD length) double coated dog. Courser outer coat, soft inner coat. They were bred for the outback. They can take VERY hot days and Very Cold nights. They are also very wash and wear. If I am not working on Merlin's coat for show, I give him a quick brush once a week and that is it.

Bitches 17-19 inches Dogs 18-20 inches.
A bitch will go 35-50 and a dog will go 40-60. But few are 60. Merlin is a big ACD male and he is 19.5 inches and goes 54 pounds. Most males are smaller than him.

Your activity and training routine would suit them fine. I am gone all day. Merlin does fine with that.

Interesting is a word.... ACDs are problem solvers. They figure stuff out. In fact more so than most would like. Many can learn how to open doors incuding turning the handles, open refridgerators, Open crate doors (you can fix that) etc etc etc My prevous ACD Bandit loved to flush toilets. I have no idea why but anywhere we went if he could get in the bathroom he would be flushing the toilet. Merlin liked to play with the autmatic waterer on the spigot to create a much hole to waller in. I have a security bar on my sliding glass door. Merlin cannot negotiate getting it up. But he often tries to lift it for me. He knows it has to come up before the door can open. He uses his mouth and his feet. He can get it out of the socket but can't get it latched. Doesn't keep him from trying.

They will keep you on your toes. If you put for some effort there is nothing you can't teach one.

They are not overly biddable. If they think they can get away with it, and they don't want to do something they will brush you off. You can't let them slide on these things.

Ever heard of Skidboot. He is an example of what you can do with one if you work at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYczb_I7QKk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2BfzUIBy9A&feature=fvw

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Entlebucher Sennenhund. A good one is bold, ready for anything anytime, versatile, smart enough to be a challenge, and a team player. Pretty typical herding dogs, but not quite as high-drive as some breeds. They have a thick but close coat that's not difficult to care for. They don't grow very large.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I think you'd be fine with any of the herding breeds....a border collie would be great. Or a sheltie....my shelties are not as wash and go as my bc and not as energetic, but they're a little spitzier in attitude if that's something you enjoy.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hmmm lots of interesting suggestions -- thanks guy!

My thoughts...

Keeshond - Totally didn't see this one coming lol. They are neat dogs but I would need to know more about them.

Entlebucher Sennenhund - Same as above though I have at least looked into these before...very neat dogs.

Shiba Inu - They are adorable but a little too small for me...and I'm not really sure the would work out well with all the obedience/agility/etc. stuff I like to do. Definitely have the sense of humor going for them though!

Airedale Terrier - These are not the dogs for me lol. I know several and...no. But thanks!

Shelties - Another interesting choice. They are great little dogs and if I ever get a small dog they will be high up on the list, but again I think too small, and that coat is a lot of work! (I know "larger" shelties are pretty common...just going by breed norms here).

Border Collie - Okay, here's the thing. Most Border Collies I know are nuts. And obedience is practically a compulsion with them ("Shall I sit like this? Or this? How bout this? This?"). While I understand that they are incredible working and performance dogs, my dogs are pets first and I'm not sure that I would enjoy one as a pet...they take life WAY too seriously. If I found a stable (smooth- or mid-coated) one I might consider it. (Disclaimer: Most BCs I know are owned by people deeply into agility or obedience so maybe they've just chosen the most frenetic examples of the breed)

Toller - These guys are adorable. I would definitely consider one lol...again would need to learn more, and I think they can be pretty hard to find.

Flat-Coated Retriever - Again I think they can be pretty hard to find, but they are fantastic dogs. The short life span is concerning.

Aussie - Another interesting suggestion...they are very neat dogs. Definitely capable of anything I would want to do and more. The lack of a tail always seems so weird to me lol.

Australian Cattle Dog - Thanks Bandit for giving such an in-depth description of the breed! I really didn't know much about them...they seem like characters (and talented ones at that!). The vid links were great!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I only have one thing to say......

Et tu Shaina????

:p

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
IMO, and I don't say this often, I think a Brittany would fit in very well. Libby meets every criteria.

Your typical week is almost a carbon copy of ours, activity-wise. Some runs, some walks, daily training session, some longline/offleash time, fetch, agility, and obedience.

Britts are trainable, smart, enthusiastic yet independent, and goofy, like your two! As hunting dogs, they are bred to work as a team, though Britts tend to be a bit "birdy" when they scent game and recall goes out the window. However, this has not hurt us in agility or obedience.

They are at the lower end of your height/weight spectrum, with adults measuring from ~17-20" and weighing 30-40lbs or so.

Wash and wear - certainly! They were bred to be this way.

Your climate is almost exactly the same as ours.

Many Brittanies can be found in rescue (check out www.americanbrittanyrescue.org) and also through a number of great breeders.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Uhhhhh, GERMAN SHORTHAIRED POINTER!:D They fit all your criteria. I second the Brittany as well, they fit your criteria as well.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
IMHO, GSP's are higher in activity level, a bit more blockheaded WRT training (but less independent), and the males perhaps on the big size of the size spectrum.

A vizsla would also fit the bill.

So would an australian shepherd or border collie (NOT field lines), though they would be less wash-and-wear.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Do you not like any of the terriers or is it just the Airedale you're not interested in? I was thinking a standard Schnauzer might not be a bad fit. Or a Bull Terrier?

I considered saying "Beagle," but you don't seem like the Beagle type to me. Is it weird that I think that?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts