Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the other "what breed for me?" threads and I'm curious to see what suggestions you have for me...

Important points:
Must get along with cats
Must be trustworthy offleash
Must be over 50 lbs (I like big dogs)
Must be able to stand cold weather (we have snow about 6 months/year)
Must be fairly easy to train (although I think I could manage a more difficult dog now)
Must be fairly accepting of new dogs and people

The dog would get at least an hour hike every morning (up to a 3-4 hour hike on some days), a 1/2-1 hour walk in the afternoon and an evening "pee walk".

We don't have a fenced yard so the dog would be in the house except when we're out walking.

It would be nice if the dog would jog with me but that's not important as long as it will go on long hikes.

Long hair is fine.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts

Must get along with cats LOVES CATS
Must be trustworthy offleash Was even called off of a deer in mid chase.
Must be over 50 lbs (I like big dogs) definitely gets this one. :)
Must be able to stand cold weather (we have snow about 6 months/year) Cold? No problem but don't make me stay in the heat.
Must be fairly easy to train (although I think I could manage a more difficult dog now) easy? In many ways, yes. NOT free, but certainly willing to learn.
Must be fairly accepting of new dogs and people. Proper socialization had created a bit of a socialite. :)

Not going to be a jogging partner but I am up for a long hike whenever you are. ;) I love to have a job so trick training could be fun. Do you want me to bring in your newspaper for you? How about putting things away in the recycling can?

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Ummmm a Collie? :p
Rotties...
Aussie...

Viszlas...GSPs...(might be a little TOO high energy for what you want...dunno)

A mid-energy retriever might work for you as well...some of the calmer Labs, Goldens, etc.

A standard poodle...(hey don't laugh they fit :p)

That's all I can think of off hand...

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Important points:
Must get along with cats - This is a training issue. Has nothing to do with breed although some breeds admittedly are harder to train to do this.
Must be trustworthy offleash - Again, a training issue.
Must be over 50 lbs (I like big dogs) - This at least is genetics.
Must be able to stand cold weather (we have snow about 6 months/year) - Your dog will be outside all the time in the cold? Surely not. Although some dogs love it. You'd probably want a double-coated dog.
Must be fairly easy to train (although I think I could manage a more difficult dog now) - You do not want a basset. Just take it from me.
Must be fairly accepting of new dogs and people - Training and socialization issue.

The dog would get at least an hour hike every morning (up to a 3-4 hour hike on some days), a 1/2-1 hour walk in the afternoon and an evening "pee walk". - Pretty much any dog the size you're talking about could handle this.

We don't have a fenced yard so the dog would be in the house except when we're out walking. - with a 3-4 hour hike you could pretty much pull off even a high energy dog in this environment.

It would be nice if the dog would jog with me but that's not important as long as it will go on long hikes. - Again, any dog 50 lbs plus will probably jog with you.

Long hair is fine. - St Bernard maybe?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Must be trustworthy offleash - Again, a training issue.
But you wouldn't get a Sighthound (or some of the Northern Breeds) if you're looking for an offleash partner. To some degree it is a training issue, to some degree it's inbred instinct..

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions. I love Rotties, but for some reason I never think of them. Good idea. Not that the collies are going anywhere soon...

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
One of the coated giant breeds maybe? Newfoundland? Bernese Mountain Dog? Maybe not so much on the jogging though.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
There are other breeds of dogs BESIDES the German Shepherd???? :p Bred to trot... and will do all the other stuff listed.. fact is I have a fenced area but no fenced yard and I have never owned a dog that is bad with people or other dogs.

Inga's Rottie would work too.. ;)

Lab, Collie (rough or smooth), etc.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of the coated giant breeds maybe? Newfoundland? Bernese Mountain Dog? Maybe not so much on the jogging though.
I think the Berner is the 3rd most popular dog up here, after labs and goldens. I can name 12 of them off the top of my head that I run into regularly.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Greater Swiss Mountain Dog:D Or German Shorthaired Pointer or Brittany Spaniel. Just to throw some out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts