Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coppinger's Dogs: A New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior, and Evolution

There was a reference to this book in the wolf/hybrid post.

I read it a few years ago and thought that it seemed to be pretty controversial especially the part about breeds, if I remember correctly he seemed to argue about whether breeds even existed at all? He seems to know quite a bit about dogs and I enjoyed the book. My daughter happens to be living on Zanzibar so the part about the Genet hunting was interesting.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this book? What other dog books are folks reading, I like books about behavior rather then training?

Any interest in a dog book thread?

Mike

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I love Patricia McConnell's books: The Other End of the Leash and For the Love of A Dog. Very insightful and educational! The first inspired me to try an experiment with my dogs recently. I didn't speak to them all day. I used hand signals and all other sorts of communication, but I didn't speak. It was fascinating! I don't think they missed my voice at all! In other words, they acted just as they would any other day. It was fun! I encourage other people to try it.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Anybody else have any thoughts on this book?
Coppinger is a breath of fresh air IMO. The brief discussion on mtDNA data I thought was very enlightening, and his logic in general is very reasonable and persuasive. Great read.

What other dog books are folks reading, I like books about behavior rather then training?
Behaviorism? Ethology? In relation to just dogs?

James Serpell's book The Domestic Dog: It's Evolution, Behavior and Interaction With People is pretty good. I'd call it grad level reading and you could get lost in the reference section for days.

Richard Dawkin's book The Selfish Gene is pretty deep and thought provoking. The subject is not dog behavior but it certaily does apply to dogs.

And for something off the cuff, Irene Maxine Pepperberg's book The Alex Studies: Cognition and Communication Abilities of Grey Parrots if you're interested in the complexity of animal behavior in general.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you. The McConnell books are in our library system as is the Dawkin book. The Serpell and Pepperberg are not.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts