Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in, got this here jet stream cooling vest, guess i didn't read the fine print... :cautious:
Only the bottom portion of the vest be made of absorbent cooling material. The rest of the vest is a very flimsy spandex material with a cheesy plastic zipper on top that runs the entire length of the vest, pita to get the thing on the dog when compared to simply throwing a cool damp towel over the beast...

·
Banned
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just in, got this here jet stream cooling vest, guess i didn't read the fine print... :cautious:
Only the bottom portion of the vest be made of absorbent cooling material. The rest of the vest is a very flimsy spandex material with a cheesy plastic zipper on top that runs the entire length of the vest, pita to get the thing on the dog when compared to simply throwing a cool damp towel over the beast...

Product Update:
Got some real time testing done today. Soaked the vest, rang it out. After ringing it the vest felt too dry. I soaked again and put it on the dog without ringing, throwed the dogs harness and leash on and off walking we went. Its hot out, i'd guesstimate at least 90° give or take. Need to get me a portable thermometer, local radio & tv only deals in "real feel" temps. Within about 10 minutes (half city block) the vest felt completely dry. To replenish the vest we need to walk about another 20 minutes. We didn't make it that far, after another 10 minutes i gave the dog a half a bottle of its drinking water. The dog was already panting heavy so i used the rest of its drinking water to wet down the vest. Now with no drinking water left and at least another half city block to the next water source we decided to call it a day and headed home to the ac. In theory the vest is better than nothing but in reality i fear once its in need of replenishing and water isn't immediately available, it'll be more a pita to have to keep continually taking it off and putting it back on again or danger to let the dog wear it while its dry... Keep an eye open for my next product review for summer paw protection... 👣

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thank you for the review. I have looked into those cooling vests, but it's very humid in our area and I hear they don't work very well the more humidity there is (which makes sense haha). But at least I know it's not very practical for any climate.

I just wet my pup's mesh harness before a walk and we don't go very long and out more often instead.

I have a cooling mat for my pup with a fan and he loves it after a walk. I'll wet his underbelly and head (top of ears) too and he seems to get it that I'm helping him cool down.

Your pup is a cutie!

·
Super Moderator
2,909 Posts
I have a cooling bandana that has a similar problem. I do think it helps for short periods, but I always bring an extra water bottle (on top of the one for the dogs and the one for me/my wife) if we're going to be out for a while and want to use it. We also wet it and pop it in the fridge in a sealed plastic bag for a bit if we know we're going to use it in advance - gives it an extra kick and slows evaporation a bit at the beginning. Just make sure it's well sealed with minimal air in the bag because it'll absolutely dry out in the fridge otherwise.

Back on Track has a cooling coat that sounds interesting, and promises 'slow evaporation technology', but I haven't seen a thorough review of it anywhere. The company is well respected in the dog and horse sporting worlds, but I hear way more about their warming (they're used a lot to help warm up muscles before an activity) and/or therapeutic products than their cooling ones. Something to keep an eye on, I guess. I'm not likely to try that one because my dog who's prone to overheating is also extremely body sensitive and can't stand any vest/jacket type gear. It took months to get him to tolerate a lightweight harness. But I like the concept.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts