Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It appears that in Vancouver summer is almost here! It is a beautiful very sunny day and about 60 degrees (16C).

Lila (10 mo old bernedoodle - 70 lbs) and I played some fetch - maybe for 15 minutes. She ran very hard - sprinted in the sun.

But wow did she ever get hot. When we came back inside she was not distressed, but she was totally splayed out and panting really loud with her tongue about a foot out of her mouth. I have not seen her like this before - it was extreme. Lasted maybe 25 minutes. Would have lasted longer if I had not hosed her down a bit.

I encouraged her to drink, and splashed her down with cool water. Again, she was not distressed at any point, but I am wondering:

a) is this normal - I mean, it's not THAT hot out!
b) how is she going to survive the summer???

Any thoughts/ideas/tips?

Thanks!

Dave

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Dogs with longer hair will get hot faster - same with dogs with short snouts.

She will probably adjust a bit to the warmer weather - this is the first time it's really been this warm out for her. There are things you can do to help though.

Take frequent breaks during play and encourage her to drink water. My dogs will sometimes get so involved in playing they don't want to stop for water. If I force a break though and show them the water, they will drink. I have a cue I use to encourage them to take a drink. Just make sure she isn't drinking an excessive amount all at once after or before heavy play (that could lead to bloat).

If she is hot and panting like you describe then yes by all means splash her with water. Hose her down to cool her off if you're outside. If you're inside get some wet, cool towels and place them in her "armpits" and on her belly. Also on the pads of her feet. Those are the places that will help her cool down faster.

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
you can and should also clip down her belly, insides of her thighs and from around her paw pads. It'll make the water more effective and allow more heat to dissipate.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
A truly hot dog will cool down best with cold towel or ice to the inner thigh and up to the groin. A wet towel, frozen, can be very effective. We have to work dogs in hot weather. Most of our dogs are black or black and tan and the long down requirements can really heat the dog up.

Putting water on TOP of the dog serves to mat the hair and increase the heat in the dog and decrease the heat escaping from the dog. We also use "cooling Coats" that are white and so sun reflective. When you make the cooling coat wet (and ring it out) and put that on a dog with a fan in the shade the hair under the cooling coat is actually cool to the hand.

When I had a poodle (50+ years ago) we kept him clipped close on the body and very much closer on feet, muzzle, belly and inside the thighs and chest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts