Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Terv is 15 months old now, she is pretty clever but a little timid.

She has sit, down, stay, high five, bang, spin, wait, up, over. and the VERY basics of agility.

I am running out of clever things to teach her because she gets scared with certain tricks, she wont do roll over for example. I cant teach her speak, I have heard her bark probably a total of 5 times in the time I have had her.

Anyone have any tricks or games that I could try with her?

I love teaching her and she is a super fast learner and I need to keep it up but I am not very imaginative.

Any ideas muchly appreciated :)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I taught Leeo and Blu Boy to dance in a circle like a ballerina. :) I called it "Do Pretties" Lol! I also taught my dogs in the past to jump through a hoola hoop! That was fun. You just start with it on the ground and have them walk through it to get to a treat ... and eventually raise the height little by little. It was fun to see how high they could jump through it. :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Do Pretties" hehe I love that! I talked to my hubby and he looooooooves the sound of the hoola hoop idea so I think we are going to buy a hoola hoop this weekend :) it has been raining a lot here so lots of time to teach Indie something new!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I see you've had some experience with agility, if the tire is part of that experience then introducing to a hoop shouldn't be much of a problem.

In any case if she does happen to show reluctance with you holding the hoop at ground level to begin with, then try laying the hoop down on the ground horizontally and gradually acclimatize her to it by sitting next to the hoop and tossing treats near it at first, then into the middle near the edge, then into the middle, then with your hand simply touching the hoop, then with the hoop slightly raised off-horizontal .... and so forth. Some timid dogs may have reservations about you 'towering over them' and holding the hoop vertically, even if it's held in such a manner at ground level for starters.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She jumps a jump quite easy although I don't do it with her often as she is only 15 months. But I had to start off with the bar on the floor so I'd say I'll have to do the same with a hoop. At least with a hoop I can control the height a lot more easily. It only took her two sessions with the bar to get over it so a hoop will be a good thing to have in my aresenal:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here are two of my favorites:

Wave - it's pretty easy to teach if they know paw or five, you just point to their leg, when they lift it say wave. When we see new people or leave somewhere she waves.

Peek-a-boo I just love this one. You sand in front of the dog (knowing wait helps) then say Peek-a-boo and they run through your legs and just have their head sticking out. It was really easy to train. You just lure them with food and mark when their head is right between your legs. People really get a kick out of this one.

My dog will not roll over either - no way she is not having it. She never lays on her back. I read somewhere that some dogs with deep chests don't like to be on their backs.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you search for dog tricks on youtube there are lots of videos of people showing off their dog's trick repertoire- there are lots of ideas there.

A few my dogs like:
Weaving between legs both as you walk and in a figure 8 around your legs
Cross your paws
Retrieving toys (add difficulty by retrieving toys by name, i.e. "get the red ball" or by putting them in a basket or container)
Sleepy? (when lying down, lay their head on the ground- super cute!)

My standard poodle will only roll over on the grass or on really soft carpets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts