Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, everyone. I'm ThatBlueAussie! Before you yell at me for trying to steal someone's dog, let me explain.

Once or twice a year, my family visits relatives in Nebraska. Said relatives have a neighbor with the cutest dog I've ever seen; a 2 or 3 year-old Toy Australian Shepherd. He's a Blue Merle with the prettiest eyes and the most 'spunk in his step' that I've ever seen in a dog... A little too much, in fact.

Said neighbors don't let this dog inside. They say he 'pees on the floor', but this dog is not (as of Thanksgiving) neutered. Owner said that she plans to have him neutered this winter, but wether this happens or not is questionable. I believe that it is not 'peeing on the floor', but 'marking his territory'.

So, this tiny little dog sits in a garage all winter. In the summer, he's chained up outside with access to the garage. Water bowl is frequently tipped over/empty, and the dog can eat as much as he wants. ETA: I managed to convince them to get puppy food for him when he was younger, as he was eating adult food and ti was making him sick. Now he's on this IAMS stuff in a green bag, not sure what it is. Yard is not picked up; feces is left wherever it's dropped. I'm convinced the poor dog is going to break his neck because one of the children will throw toys that land out of range of him, and he runs for it, hits the end of the line, and does a backflip. Poor dog is so thirsty for attention that I've taught him 9 different tricks (although he doesn't do them every time, he knows what I ask) without the use of treats, just verbal praise and pets... Come, sit, wait, 'through' (weaving through my legs), over, under, 'jump', stay down, and 'no barks' (after showing him that I see what he's barking at.. Read somewhere that you shouldn't /not/ let a dog bark, but acknowledge the thing he's barking at (since it's like a 'warning') and then tell them to be quiet.)

As smart as he is, he still has some bad and potentially dangerous habits. Namely, not listening to owner when off-leash, and running across a highway to a place that he knows has a fenced in yard that he can run loose in. Therefore, he gets no off-leash time unless I'm there, because he listens to me. He also has what I think is separation anxiety; If I leave (to, say, go to bed after working with him all day) he just barks and barks and barks! Not sure what to do about that.

Now, this dog is not being 'abused' per say; the lady that owns him is pretty nice but 'protective' of him. He's healthy, active, has a nice coat (that I have to cut mats out of occasionally, but they're not huge (not like his whole coat is matted)), and *normally* has adequate food and water.

I just think that, well, I could treat him better. He's such a smart little dog. Willing to please, easy to train, and cat-friendly. I'm not sure how to go about asking/convincing his owner to let me bring him home.

What do you guys think?

I don't want to call the police, because he's not in a terrible condition (there are surely dogs worse off on the nearby reservation). My parent's wouldn't let me 'pay' to take the dog, but they agree that if I could get him for free, we could take him and give him a better home.

It sounds terrible now that I've typed it out. Sounds worse than it is, but it's all true. Just can't find enough good reasons to leave him there without trying.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, but I don't think the owners will give him up that easily. As crappy of care they give him, you'd think they'd hand him away for free... Not the case. I've dropped a few subtle hints (doesn't help that I'm not in any way outgoing and have trouble asking people for things) and no response. Plus, my parents don't want me to 'pay' for the dog; they'd rather I talked the owners into giving him to us.

Unfortunately I don't have a job, either, so if that's the option you guys think is best, I'll have to start saving.. No clue how much owners would want for him. Probably an outrageous amount.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I said; my parents would pay for vet bills and things as long as I care for the dog eg.) feeding, grooming, training, etc, all of which I would do anyway.

And I have indirectly saying things, like “I would love to take him home with me!” And “He would be fun to compete with!” But I guess I have to say it more directly lol.

And I’m not trying to be “unflattering” or “plan things behind their backs”. I just want to know how to deal with the situation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just skimmed the replies; I’ll answer in depth tomorrow.

The thing that caught my eye is the fact that you are saying she paid money for him... I should have mentioned this, but no. One of the dogs she gave away was a black Tricolor Aussie (Unknown if it was Mini or Toy), unfixed female. Said female had a litter of puppies out of an unknown dog, which was later found out to be another Aussie. The only Merle puppy out of that litter was the dog that owner currently has now. Said dog is a “backyard-bred” dog, so she paid no money for him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts