Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please don't attack me for this. i know that a lot of animals are hunted and unfortunately these animals were hunted in a violent way for a long time. i don't think it is like that any more.

i was wondering if it is ok to feed seal meat to iorek? i would freeze it for a month first. it will be very easy and very cheap for me to get seal meat once the hunt starts here (i live in Newfoundland). the owner of the raw food company i used to buy from in nova scotia said that seal meat is good for dogs but he never carried it since it is so controversial. he said that he has fed it to his dogs but not the bones. i just thought i would ask here because it will be so easy for me to get in the winter. is seal meat and bones ok to feed to iorek?

i really don't want this to start a discussion on whether or not the seal hunt is ok. thank you in advance for that.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Meat is meat. The only thing I would worry about with seal meat is that it's likely to be very oily and therefore high in fat content. There will be a whole lot of calories in very little meat.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thank you. right now calories are not a concern for us. iorek needs to put weight on. do you think that if i feed him a lb of seal instead of 1 1/2 lbs that should work out ok?

also, do you think the bones should be ok? i am guessing that as long as they are not too thick they should be fine? i guess there are not too many weight bearing bones in an animal who lives in the ocean.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
I have to disagree. Meat is not MEAT! Seriously, when Iorek is lounging around doesn't he already look like a baby seal? Do you really want Iorek looking at you as if to suggest Soylent Green(seal meat) is doggy! So ya, meat is not just meat. :p

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I would start at the normal amount of weight you feed, and scale back if he starts beefing up.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the bones. Let Iorek be the judge. If he seems to have troubles with them, don't feed them.

I have to disagree. Meat is not MEAT! Seriously, when Iorek is lounging around doesn't he already look like a baby seal? Do you really want Iorek looking at you as if to suggest Soylent Green(seal meat) is doggy! So ya, meat is not just meat. :p
Soylent green is PEOPLE!

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, seal is not dog... he actually looks more like a polar bear (hence the name) and if we are going to follow that logic then it makes perfect sense for him to eat seal.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
yeah, the natives along the coast up here feed seal/whale/salmon, etc..to their huskies. A lot of the people up here eat whale blubber, it's not that good...

·
Registered
538 Posts
DOnt arctic wolves eat seal on occassion?

I would feed my dogs seal. Like the others said though, eventually you are going to watch the fat content.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Yes arctic wolves eat seals.

See, now I believe it's not actually the seal that has a lot of fat, it's the blubber, or a layer of fat, which keeps the seals warm. If you get their fat, then it's pure fat, but if you get the meat, I think it's just meat..

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Yes arctic wolves eat seals.

See, now I believe it's not actually the seal that has a lot of fat, it's the blubber, or a layer of fat, which keeps the seals warm. If you get their fat, then it's pure fat, but if you get the meat, I think it's just meat..
I don't believe this is the case. All aquatic mammals have extremely oily meat. It's like when you fry a steak, it can be really fatty or it can be really meaty, and that determines the grease you get out of it. If you fried seal meat (or any aquatic mammal for that matter), it would liberate a TON of grease.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
lmao! I've eaten whale/seal raw and never noticed, but if you eat the blubber, it's like...rubbery and weird..cause it's all fatty. Tasted better with mustard :D

*Goes to research*

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sled dogs in the arctic have eaten seal for as long as there have been sled dogs in the arctic. Sled dogs are just dogs, usually husky crosses, and if they can eat seal meat/fat/bone/organ, so can your dog.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Sled dogs in the arctic have eaten seal for as long as there have been sled dogs in the arctic. Sled dogs are just dogs, usually husky crosses, and if they can eat seal meat/fat/bone/organ, so can your dog.
That's not entirely true. Sled dogs eat seal (and in my part of the country beaver) because it is so incredibly high in fat and therefore calories. They also run 50-100 miles a day. They also switch into pure fat liberation metabolism after the first 100 or so miles of a race. Your housepet doesn't get nearly that exercise. My concern is that they would be getting plenty of calories, but not enough other nutrients.

Will it kill your dog, absolutely not. On a normal feed amount will they have all the nutrients they need? I'm not sure.

I'd have it just added into your normal protein rotation, not something you feed every day.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd have it just added into your normal protein rotation, not something you feed every day.
that is the plan ;)

i was also told of something called "rabbit starvation". i don't know if it is true or not but it is something about people not getting all the nutrients they need if they eat nothing but rabbit. i am not planning to feed just one protein source so i am not worried. i am just happy to be able to add all this extra stuff that he couldn't get before.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
i was also told of something called "rabbit starvation". i don't know if it is true or not but it is something about people not getting all the nutrients they need if they eat nothing but rabbit.
I heard of that....evidently, a wild rabbit has NO fat on him at all, so if you only eat the meat you'll eventually die. On "Man Versus Wild", he said that if you eat the bone marrow along with the meat, that would give you enough fat. So if the dogs are getting the entire rabbit, bones and all, probably it would be OK to feed them a diet comprised solely of rabbit. But of course if you're feeding a variety of meats, it's just not an issue.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that is what i heard too, no fat on a wild rabbit at all. (i wish i was like that... :p)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts