Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone offer advice on how to control barking? Several other dogs in the neighborhood are allowed to bark constantly. Some days it sounds like a kennel outside. My last 2 dogs didn't pick up the habit. The first because he learned that he had to come inside every time he barked, the second because he just never barks at anything, ever. Charlie will start barking from the moment i let him out in the yard until I make him come inside. He doesn't bark on walks, doesn't bark in the house, but he barks incessantly out in the yard.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
You need to figure out why he's barking.

You can teach him, Quiet, by giving him a small treat when he is not barking. If he is always barking, then shove a treat under his nose and then say Quiet. You can also try clapping your hands or blowing an airhorn briefly to distract him, then say Quiet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure he's barking because the other dogs are barking. Yesterday when I went to check, he was sitting on the deck with a stick in his mouth barking at my neighbors who were washing their windows. He usually won't bark if I'm standing there, so it's been really hard to get a handle on it.

Years ago I had the police come to my door late at night to say a neighbor was complaining about my dog barking. Binks was sitting at my feet, and I pointed out that he hadn't even barked when they knocked, so it couldn't have been him. You could hear 2 or 3 other dogs barking outside, so it was fairly obvious it wasn't him causing the noise. I'm just worried that it's going to definitely be Charlie that's irritating everybody. I don't want to be the bad neighbor.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Sounds like he doesn't bark if you're out there with him. So, if it is night time, and you hear him bark, you either let him in, or go out...

If he's barking with a stick, it sounds like social barking: "Hello, Come play fetch with me?"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts