Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Vedo is a 3yr old GSD and his brother is 2yrs. They are destroying the house. They will pull and shred bedding of the beds...rip clothing....etc. They get plunty of exercise...hiking every morning and out in the large yard at night. I do work 7 hours a day but leave them bones, treats and toys. How do I correct them when I walk in and things have been destroyed??? Do I yell and scream...do I ignore it? (Vedo has had all the puppy training etc.)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
No. You don't correct them unless you catch them in the act.

I have a feeling they're not getting enough exercise even though you say it's plenty. How long do they hike? Is it on leash? Being out all night isn't exercise. You can't count that at all.

I have 2 GSDs and they get 2 outings a day where they can run all they want. I play with them (frisbee, balls, flirt-pole) so they have to run.

Until they stop destroying the house, I would suggest LOTS more exercise and then confinement when you're not there. A crate or gated into a room that's been dog-proofed. But the exercise is going to be the more important factor.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hike every morning for an hour...they are never on a leash. My yard is huge...they swim in a pond...they get plunty of exercise.........

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Then they need to be confined until they earn the privilege of being loose in the house. Just like puppies do.

It's just that correction doesn't work after the fact. They'll just learn that you go a little bit nuts every day when you get home. :) They won't relate it to the mess they've made.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Dogs don't connect their past actions with their present situations. You have to catch them IN the process of messing up your house if you want to correct them. Even correcting them five minutes after the fact is too late -- they don't think "that's the mess I made this afternoon", they just think "oh look, a mess."

Have you tried crating them while you're not home?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would deffinetly crate them. I am a firm believer in crating!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The yard is not fenced...they can't be out when I am not home

Maybe a small dog could be crated for seven hours, but these dogs have been bred for intelligance...they are used for military and police. They have too much drive and are too smart to be confined for seven hours....and they do know when they have done something wrong. When I come home from work and they greet me at the door...wagging tails and big smiles, I know everything is fine in the house...When I open the door and they immediately run past me and slink around in the driveway...with their ears out straight...I know the house has been trashed....I don't even have to walk in.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
When I open the door and they immediately run past me and slink around in the driveway...with their ears out straight...I know the house has been trashed....I don't even have to walk in.
They don't know that they have done something wrong. What they know, is that when you come home, you're likely to be upset with them. You react badly when you see the mess. That's what they know.

Maybe a small dog could be crated for seven hours, but these dogs have been bred for intelligance...they are used for military and police. They have too much drive and are too smart to be confined for seven hours.
Many GSDs are crated successfully for seven hours. Intelligence has nothing to do with it. And I suspect my small boy Cupid could match your dogs for drive. But if you don't want to crate them, confine them in one room only. Make sure you puppy proof it so they can't get into things while you're away. And leave treats and toys for them to play with while you're gone.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
So you're suggesting that small dogs aren't intelligent and that they are used to being crated? Labs are trained to be service dogs, therapy dogs etc yet my brother had two labs, one was a well-bred dog and the other from a pet store and both were crated for more than 7 hours. The trick was that they got at least 3 outings running or fetching a ball for at least an hour each outing. Plus, they were trained to do tricks which helped their mental health. If you can train your big and intelligent dogs, then train them to be crated or isolated in a smaller room. My small dog doesn't rip my furniture and destroy my house. She's not perfect in the housetraining part but that's not her fault, it's mine. Being in a yard isn't enough exercise. A dog could have acres of land at his disposal but with nothing to do and nobody to do it with, he could still not do anything. Sounds like your dogs need jobs to do; that is what they're bred for.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
The yard is not fenced...they can't be out when I am not home

Maybe a small dog could be crated for seven hours, but these dogs have been bred for intelligance...they are used for military and police. They have too much drive and are too smart to be confined for seven hours....and they do know when they have done something wrong. When I come home from work and they greet me at the door...wagging tails and big smiles, I know everything is fine in the house...When I open the door and they immediately run past me and slink around in the driveway...with their ears out straight...I know the house has been trashed....I don't even have to walk in.
I have one of these GSD dogs. This one is a high energy dog with high intelliegence. She is crated during the day when I am at work. Better she is safe in a crate than trashing my house, chasing the cats or chewing on things not good for her like an electric light cord! She is a fine dog and well trained, but why come home to some disaster?

Hiking off leash for an hour is good physical exercise but if that is all you are doing, you are not mentally exercising these dogs. This means 15 minutes of training 2X a day for each dog. This means dog at heel and focused on your face, sitting when you stop etc. for 10 minutes of each hike, each dog and in two 5 minute intervals.

Everything in your post indicates to me that these dogs lack mental stimulation and the physical stimulation is inadequate. Remember, these dogs were bred to tend cattle or sheep all day. Tending is trotting the perimeter of the flock or herd keeping them in a specific area all day long. Since we have these dogs as pets and do not have herds or flocks we need to subsitute other things for all day long herding. An hour is not adequate.

If you want to punish your dogs after the fact when they trash the house, that is your decision but as others have pointed out, it is counterproductive. IOW's it does not work. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Punishing the dogs AFTER they do something wrong is not working. If it was, the problem would be fixed.

I suggest three things:

1.) More intense training 2x a day, including "new things."

2.) More exercise.. up the hiking to 2X a day and have one of those hikes be 1/2 hour and the other 1 and 1/2 hours.

3.) Crate the dogs during the day (and training new htings can include crate training).

If you are looking for a stronger aversive, I have none. If you want to continue to hand out abuse and punish the dogs after the fact, when it doesn't work, then go ahead (tho I think it is not only counterproductive but cruel).

If you are looking for "magic dust" to fix this, I can sell you a few pounds... I get $50 a for 8 ounces plus shipping.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If you are looking for "magic dust" to fix this, I can sell you a few pounds... I get $50 a for 8 ounces plus shipping.... :rolleyes:
Hey! I'll have some of that! LOL Then I wouldn't have to exercise my dogs so much!

vedo, I have 2 GSDs, too. And while I don't crate them, you can believe I would if they were ruining my stuff. My dogs lie around asleep most of the day. What's the problem with having a crate around them?

You're trying to convince yourself that if you just had the right answer, your dogs wouldn't destroy your house. That may not be the case. You simply cannot train them if you're not there. NO amount of punishment is going to work for this. So, you have to find another way.

I have suggested more exercise. You say they get plenty. I still doubt it. A well-exercised dog doesn't eat the couch and destroy the house. They probably sleep all night. It hardly matters if they're in a large yard if they're asleep. An hour hike a day isn't enough. Not for your crew. I'm almost positive that if you exercised the hell out of them, spent time training every day and gave them other interesting things to keep them busy while you're gone, this problem would go away. It's your choice.

Or you could go for the magic dust.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts