Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup is now four months old, and has ridiculous amounts of hiccups since we brought him home. I know the hiccups are normal, but recently while the bouts have lessened some, it seems the intensity seems to have gone up. He has begun to whine and seems to express a mild discomfort (although it could just be annoyance, and who could blame him?). During his last round of vaccinations I had the vet check up on him just to make sure, he said everything was normal and not to worry.

So my question is this, does anyone have any methods to help stop hiccups? Or at least shorten the duration a bit??

I imagine this question is a lot like the "how do you stop human hiccups?" but I feel terrible whenever he seems to get frustrated at them.

Thank you!

-Lauren K

·
Registered
294 Posts
No real help to offer,
Other than to say they grow out of it. At least every puppy with hiccups that I have had has outgrown them.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My pup still hiccups(17weeks) but not as much as she use to. I'm not sure what would help. You could try to occupy him while he is hiccuping. Just something to keep his mind off of it?

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Sometimes if you can break the spasm, the hiccups will stop. Maybe a run around the yard, playing chase or fetching a ball may help, with the goal of getting him panting hard....

·
Registered
31 Posts
My pup did that/still does it at 3 mo's.... it's adorable. But that is sad that he has them so bad that it irritates him. He will probably grow out of it, she is. She would get them ALL the time.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My poodle still gets hiccups occasionally, and it seems he gets them when he either eats fast (which he normally doesn't do), or drinks fast (like coming in from playing outside), he also has gotten them from being extra excited and being a crazy beast. Maybe if you can, slow your puppy down while he eats - maybe hand feed slowly, and make sure he isn't gulping water. Personally, I get the WORST hiccups that hurt so badly, and have ever since I was a baby... my grandma always said it was because I ate too fast and swallowed too much air. Buuut, she was also from the depression era and had a reason/home solution for everything! :)

Poor pup! Hope he grows out of them!

·
Registered
891 Posts
My girl used to get hiccups a lot when she was a young puppy but they've definitely tapered off. My vet said it's very normal for puppies to get hiccups & it's nothing to worry about. We can't really do anything for them like with humans.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Yeah, Jo hardly ever.... No never EVER gets them any more. Neither does Izze. Some to think about it, I haven't had one dog that I know of that didn't grow out of it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
No real help to offer,
Other than to say they grow out of it. At least every puppy with hiccups that I have had has outgrown them.
This has been our case as well. Maybe it is more breed dependent. But Max used to hiccup at least 3 - 4 times a day. Evevn now, he will still some times hiccup after eating or drinking. Not to worry...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts