Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has now officially been on California Natural Lamb and Rice for about a month. After a 2 week bout with diarrhea I have seen a lot of improvement in his stool. However, it is still not perfect.

It seems to be good, solid stools about 75% of the time. And as weird as this sounds after his solid stools there is almost a "topping off" of a small amount of diarrhea. If he only poops twice a day they are both usually solid, but if he goes more than twice, one is usually diarrhea.

So, should I stick with the California Natural another month? If I changed I was thinking about Natural Balance. If I change him to a different "flavor" of California Natural would it be like starting all over? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Is he eating ANYTHING else besides his kibble? Treats, bones, people food... Anything could be causing a little loose stool. If you like the food and would like to stay on it, restrict all other foods for 2 weeks and see if his stool clears up. Then, you can get some treats that work better with his system.

If it doesn't clear up, then I would probably switch. I'm using NB Sweet Potato and Venison and I love my dogs' stools. LOL But when I give Jaia anything outside of that, he gets a little loose just like you describe. So I got venison treats and he does great.

So, look at the ingredients in your food and treats and see if you can figure out what's causing it. :)

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
We had that problem on EVO and California Natural. Most the time it was nice, but now and then Beau, Rose, or Nard would have slightly mushy stools. We switched to Blue Buffalo then Fromm then eventually to Eagle Pack Holistics and it went completely away. All three of those foods worked better on my dogs than the Natura products for some reason. Summer thrives on EVO, but the rest it just seems to be too much for them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts