Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance for the length of this post but I'm hoping you can help me. My family recently adopted a run away 6 month old puppy, she is a German Shepard / Husky mix which showed up in our yard. We located her original family and they gave her to us due to their inability to contain her. We have been attempting to bring her inside full time, but she is not fully potty trained yet and so we have to keep her outside when we aren't here.
To be honest she is the most interesting animal I have ever dealt with. She is energetic and extremely intelligent. House training is going more slowly then I expected, but it is coming along. The only thing that we have not had any success in is keeping her in our yard.
Our yard is lined on 2 sides with a 6 foot wooden privacy fence, the rest is a 4 foot chain link fence. The wood fence is mounted on a cinderblock foundation that goes down 2 feet. The chainlink sections are lined underneath with chicken wire. She is going both over and UNDER the chainlink fence. We have had to resort to putting her on a lead staked to the ground. And this tactic is no longer effective. We had her attached to the lead by a harness, but she slips it easily, we then connected the harness and her collar and that worked well (until today). As of today she has figured out how to get off the lead and slip the harness all while still wearing the collar. The only upside is that when she does get loose and under the fence she typically returns at night, which was a trait she exhibited with her first family as well.
We would appreciate any advice and/or tips and tricks to use to keep her safe.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
but she is not fully potty trained yet and so we have to keep her outside when we aren't here.
I have solved your problem... keep her INSIDE when you aren't there.

Crate train (look up crate games as a way get the dog acclimated and comfortable in a crate) and/or designate a dog room like finished porch or a spare bedroom with solid surface flooring. A 6 month old dog has the physical ability to be potty trained so it shouldn't take long to teach her.

If you tether a dog who has room to reach the fence, you risk the dog strangling themselves going over the fence.

Better to clean up a few potty accidents than to clean up your dead dog from the road when a car hits her.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Years ago we adopted a beautiful GSP from the local Shelter. We went back 3 times to look at her. Decided we wanted to adopt her and one of the employees actually said,. "oh, you don't want that dog. She has been picked up 3 times and the family doesn't even want her anymore." I asked why and he to,d me she was a fence jumper. So,decided to rethink that one and decided to soeak to my Vet, at the time, as I knew he had that breed. He told me hunting dogs can be notorious for getting out of yards, etc. Long story short, he and I discussed how we could get this dog and keep her safe. We built a good sized chain link run in our yard with a chain link top on it. Got the dog and brought her home. She was absolutely fine in the house and as long as we were home. If we left the house, she was put in the run outside, always. Luckily, she was okay with that. She was a great family dog and great with our 3 children. You might consider that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts