Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week and a half ago I contacted a breeder via Facebook, as they're fairly active on there. I see that they have read the message (a week ago), but I've had no response. Unfortunately the breed is fairly rare so even finding someone who breeds them has been a challenge. I think my message was polite enough...

Hello from beautiful BC. I've been following your page for a little while now and I think your dogs are just beautiful.
At the moment I am doing research on *breed* and trying to see how well one might fit into my family. I have managed to meet a few over the last several years and I am fascinated by them.
If you have a personal Facebook account and would like to send me a friend request, you're welcome to "check me out" and see my little canine family.
I would love to hear your thoughts on the breed and what makes an ideal home for a *breed*.

Thank you for your time!

What do you think? What would be your next move?

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I would follow up with something like, "Hi, I know you must be very busy! I am still interested in talking about this breed. Please let me know when you might be available. I look forward to chatting with you!" Or basically a polite and short message to remind them you're still there. If the breeder has a website or email or phone number, you might want to try that route too.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
Agreed.

Even though FB says they read the message, it doesn't always mean they either read it or read it at a time when they could reply. I don't use FB messenger on my phone but if I am in desktop mode on my phone, it will show that I read a message (which I can read it but not easily reply). Or, a spouse or kid could have had the fb account open and "read" it. Or it simply slipped someone's mind to reply.

One non-reply means little. Two non-replies is more likely to be intentional.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That makes sense, thanks, I wasn't sure how to go about politely bugging them again.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Maybe you were a little too casual? Maybe they thought you weren't really serious about possibly getting a dog and just wanted to talk. They probably get a lot of messages from people who just think their breed is cool and want to talk about them, but aren't actually serious about getting one.

If you ARE seriously considering the breed I would be sure to mention that in your follow-up message. Something like "I am seriously considering this breed for my next dog and would really appreciate any information you can provide".

·
Registered
549 Posts
I feel for you, I never heard back from the breeders I contacted when I was interested in a purebred dog. Very disheartening.

·
Registered
263 Posts
FWIW my breeder says she ignores everything but phone calls; she has better things to do than answer hundreds of emails from people contacting every breeder in the country. Don't know how common that attitude is.

·
Registered
549 Posts
FWIW my breeder says she ignores everything but phone calls; she has better things to do than answer hundreds of emails from people contacting every breeder in the country. Don't know how common that attitude is.
I kinda understand that... I just HATE talking on the phone because I have an accent and people don't always understand me.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would try the breeder's website and see if there is an e-mail; I'd always rather write back and forth, then talk in person when I can meet up with someone, than talk on the phone too! I never loved talking on the phone, and cell phones really sealed the deal for me; there are reception issues, microphone issues, I'm holding my texting brick up to my face and it's heating up as I'm having the conversation... :p

It's different for everyone but I know that Prinna's breeder did NOT "get" Facebook at all, as it related to her kennel. I don't really like Facebook in general, so this was fine by me (although I do envy people who get daily photo updates of their puppy during those first few weeks). E-mailing directly worked, though! So maybe describe your current pups and lifestyle in the body of an e-mail, rather than suggest that that info would be apparent by browsing your personal Facebook page.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree with trying other methods of contacting them, and also send them one more message.

One thing is that there is more to any breed and breeder than how beautiful their dogs are. Or how fascinating they are. Not that you dont know that already, but from their perspective and how they see it.
So perhaps focusing on the traits you like in the breed, and what you like about the breeder and why you want to talk with them?

That may not be the reason why they didn't respond, but I always think its respectful to a breed to talk about the breed's personality and what interests you in the breed and why you think the breed is right for you, and what you want to know about it.

E-mail I think is best, facebook can be difficult.
Especially as if you are not a friend, they may not see your message request.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did finally hear from the breeder... not very chatty. Unfortunately she's probably not having a litter until 2019, so contacted another breeder (with her knowledge) and got all kinds of red flags despite him being recommended by a bunch of people.

Feeling pretty discouraged.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Sorry to hear that! I hope you find a good match soon.

·
Registered
254 Posts
CoverTune, that is very disappointing to hear! Would you feel comfortable asking the original breeder for any other suggestions?

Seeing that you are in BC (Atlas and I actually spent an afternoon in Salmon Arm this August!), have you looked at the Canuck Dogs website? They have stats for conformation and obedience (including rally) of many breeds. It may help you find some other kennels to look into? You said the breed is rare, so this may or may not be very helpful to you.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I'll hold off and see if the original breeder decides to have a litter next year, if she doesn't, then yeah, I'll ask her who she recommends.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think I'll hold off and see if the original breeder decides to have a litter next year, if she doesn't, then yeah, I'll ask her who she recommends.
Sounds like a plan! You are obviously much more patient than I am. :p Though I did end up waiting three years for Atlas... Haha.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[

Sounds like a plan! You are obviously much more patient than I am.
Though I did end up waiting three years for Atlas... Haha.
Well... I think I'm getting another puppy in the meantime - lol!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts