Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, our four and a half month old puppy plays very aggressively with other dogs - constantly nipping and biting. The other dogs respond to this, naturally, but mouthing a lot often around her neck. She yelps sometimes when they bite back too hard. Is this something she'll eventually outgrow, or is there something I can do to try to curb all the constant nipping on her part. It's the ONLY way she plays with other dogs at the moment. I think other dog owners get tired of it sometimes because it in turn has their dogs playing pretty roughly.

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
That's normal puppy play behavior but, it's going to change very quickly in the next couple of weeks or days....her 'puppy license' is about to expire. Puppies can get away with murder and older dogs will tolerate it until the pup comes of age. That coming of age is around 4 months after which older dogs will severely punish rude, ill-mannered behavior. That's a hard lesson to watch and I hope it comes from a well socialized dog and not a pack at the dog park.
I really don't want to scare you...this is a lesson every puppy needs to learn and the dogs are much better at teaching it than we are....we can only control the circumstances under which the lessons are given.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts