Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my dog for several years now. She always whines to herself and I don't know why. It is not an intense whine at all or anything and she behaves normally. She eats normally, plays, has regular bowels etc. But she just has always whined a lot to herself lightly as if she were upset.

Me and my cousin always joke around that my dog is just pampered and sensitive (I baby her a lot). She acts very similar to a person. If someone is yelling or talking loud she becomes very nervous and starts to whine. If someone is crying (or pretending to cry and making the boo hoo noises lol) she starts whining and licking you. If I am even in a bad mood it seems like she senses it, even when I don't say anything and she acts upset too.

Is there any possibility that her whining is in fact due to her being...emotional? I know it sounds odd because dogs aren't people. But I can't figure out why she is doing this. She will sometimes literally sit in a little corner and whine a little like she is feeling sorry for herself. Could my pampering her like a baby have caused her to be like this?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I wouldn't say "emotional" but would say it's her way of saying she wants your attention....my sisters dog does this all the time as well and knows he gets attention because of it. The animal behaviorist she brought out said it was merely a sign of wanting more attention from her and from being bored.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't say "emotional" but would say it's her way of saying she wants your attention....my sisters dog does this all the time as well and knows he gets attention because of it. The animal behaviorist she brought out said it was merely a sign of wanting more attention from her and from being bored.
Thanks for the reply. I actually looked it up and was surprised it was a fairly common problem. And it is actually my fault after all :eek: I found this info about it:

If theres one thing that dogs and babies have in common, its that when they want something, they let you know about it!

And just like a baby cries to get attention, so does a dog or puppy whine to get its masters attention. Its a natural mechanism for dogs, and one that we dog owners need to understand.

Unfortunately, most dog owners get dog whining all wrong. Instead of ignoring the sound or trying to reduce their dogs need to get attention through whining, they immediately try to comfort their dogs. This only rewards the dog for its whining, and positively reinforces the behavior. The dog knows that by whining, it can get whatever it wants. Not only does this prolong the behavior, but also it puts the dog at a higher rank than its owner and family! And when the dog becomes the alpha.

I thought I was supposed to comfort her whenever she whines...apparently not. Apparently she knows what she is doing and what she has to do to get me to baby her.....little sneak :rolleyes:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I actually looked it up and was surprised it was a fairly common problem. And it is actually my fault after all :eek: I found this info about it:

If theres one thing that dogs and babies have in common, its that when they want something, they let you know about it!

And just like a baby cries to get attention, so does a dog or puppy whine to get its masters attention. Its a natural mechanism for dogs, and one that we dog owners need to understand.

Unfortunately, most dog owners get dog whining all wrong. Instead of ignoring the sound or trying to reduce their dogs need to get attention through whining, they immediately try to comfort their dogs. This only rewards the dog for its whining, and positively reinforces the behavior. The dog knows that by whining, it can get whatever it wants. Not only does this prolong the behavior, but also it puts the dog at a higher rank than its owner and family! And when the dog becomes the alpha.

I thought I was supposed to comfort her whenever she whines...apparently not. Apparently she knows what she is doing and what she has to do to get me to baby her.....little sneak :rolleyes:
Yep, you are absolutely right. That's what the trainer my sister brought out said. Basically, because when he whines she gives him attention instead of ignoring it, anytime she isn't giving him attention and he's bored, he will whine to get attention from her. When she gives him that attention it just reinforces the fact that "whining = getting what I want"
Dogs are a lot smarter than most people give them credit for and most are well versed in finding ways to get what they want from their owners ;)

My sisters trainer for her dog told her to try to give him things to keep him occupied when she is doing other things (toys, a kong etc.) so he has things to do, and if/when he does whine that she should ignore it. He said attention needs to be on her terms and not his. He said he will continue whining for a while but, if he eventually sees that she is not giving in and he is not going to get what he wants through whining, eventually...he will stop.

Good luck to you, it's hard to not give in to a sad face and some whining...hopefully, with time, she will learn to stop :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts