Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a husky/shepard puppy from the pound back in August. She was already a big dog (45lbs.) and just turned about a year old from what we can estimate. My biggest issue with her is her constant whining/whistling noises that she makes. She has two other sisters who are much older. The greyhound likes to whine a lot too, and the pointer just barks when she wants something. I've tried using a bark collar, but it doesn't do any good for the whistling and low key whining. Is there any way to stop this behavior, and soon? I keep worrying about the neighbors waking up and calling the cops because they might think she's dying!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Those are all frustration signs and you need to figure out why/what it is that she needs. They are alot like babies in trying to figure out the problem....do they need feeding, changing, attention or mental or physical stimulation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I know its an attention problem. Thing is, her dad and I work full time and we do pay attention to her when we can. I'm just curious to know if there's any kind of proven distraction that would lessen the noise? I've tried chew toys, but she's not very interested, at least not for very long. Are huskies or shepards known to be this vocal normally?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
If she wants your attention, then there really isn't a better alternative other than you.
I take it that she's either outside or otherwise separated from you and that's the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts