Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just moved to Denver (from Iowa) with my 3yr old Weim/Dobi mix. He's adjusted to the move very well, he's very active, no out of the normal anxiety (for a Weim). The one issue he's having is licking. For the past few days he's been licking his paws constantly (especially when he first wakes up). Just yesterday he started scratching all over. He's eating the same food. My only guess is it has something to do with a diff house, yard, environment, etc.. Is this allergies? If so should I give him Benadryl, change something in his environment???

Thanks!
Ezra

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Sounds like an environmental allergy to me. I would talk to your vet about Benadryl dosage -- don't just go giving things to him yet. If things get really bad, you can ask for an allergy test to determine exactly what it is he's allergic to. Unfortunately, with environmental allergies, it's difficult to remove the allergen... it's usually something like dust, pollen, etc.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hello,
I just moved to Denver (from Iowa) with my 3yr old Weim/Dobi mix. He's adjusted to the move very well, he's very active, no out of the normal anxiety (for a Weim). The one issue he's having is licking. For the past few days he's been licking his paws constantly (especially when he first wakes up). Just yesterday he started scratching all over. He's eating the same food. My only guess is it has something to do with a diff house, yard, environment, etc.. Is this allergies? If so should I give him Benadryl, change something in his environment???

Thanks!
Ezra
Very much sounds like allergy symptoms. You may want to confirm that with your vet. It is safe to give Benadryl to dogs in a dosage equal to 1mg per pound of bodyweight. Benadryl normally comes in a 25mg caplet so 2 caplets for a 50-60 pound dog every 8-10 hours is about right. I have given up to 3 to a 60 pound dog who was really suffering from itching with my vet's ok. I have found that antihistamines will only really help in mild cases and more severe cases will need an low dosage of long acting steroids and or a combination of both. There are a couple different antihistamines you can try, while one may not give relief another might. Ask your vet for which ones to try.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts