Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
kadylady ,
This is going to be fairly straight forward where the dog food is concerned. Pick a good food and stick with it so your dogs system can settle down. Feed twice a day and no treats until the resolve of the loose stool. You have received good advice from the above DF members and one thing comes to mind with the loose smelly stool issue. I've had this with hound pups many times.

You did say your dog has had a recent Vet checkup and all was good , and , assuming all shots UTD...

The loose stool sounds like coccidia/giardia and this is often missed by Vets as it does not always show up in a stool sample.
To make a long story short , I would treat for both giardia and coccidia using metronidazole and sulfadimethoxine as per dog weight.

As an after thought , make sure your dog does not eat any poo...... I know this is gross , but , check and make sure...

As for the food , Earthborn is a good one and can be ordered online with coupon savings and free ship if you look around. For a cost savings , the 4Health line is sort of a generic TOTW and I am told by the good folks at TSC that they have new stock that is not under recall.

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
583 Posts
kadylady ,

>I didn't even think about the poop eating causing digestive problems but it makes sense.<
This will cause loose stool even on a perfect dog food.................

Best thing to do is set a feed schedule where you control meal time and amount, and make sure not to over feed.

>And get my husband on board because he's totally unhelpful in that department.<
Clean up yard at poop time and you will limit access and make it much more difficult to find any poop to eat.

Feed the best kibble you can , 4Health would be a good one.IMO.
The more time/distance you can put into limiting access to poop the sooner it will start to ease up. You can do this and I know it is a pain...

>Luke had coccidia as a pup and that thought had crossed my mind.<
I have had to treat this more that once to get it to clear up in problem cases , and , make sure you treat for enough days. The meds are cheap and you can get them from vet supply and treat yourself... Vets often miss coccidia and treat for giardia bc symptoms are so similar...
You will probably want to treat both dogs as giardia and coccidia is spread from one dog to another by contact with infected feces or drinking water or through infected soil or bodily fluids. *** It is my understanding that giardia is zoonotic and thus a potential health risk to humans. Use good hand washing protocol and wash dog bowls with hot soapy water , but not in kitchen sink. ***

>I was worried that I might be switching too often for her.<
This can cause trouble with some dogs , just pick a good kibble and stick with it.

Best , oldhounddog

1 - 2 of 2 Posts