Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 week old black lab/aussie shepherd mix has been cleaning himself what seems like all the time, since the day we brought him home. I'm worried as I've heard of dogs having OCD.

Also, relatedly he chases his tail and gnaws on his hind legs even while we're playing with him. For instance, I'll throw his ball and he'll run after it to chase it down and bring it back, halfway there he'll sit down and start gnawing on his tail or licking his feet.

We've checked for bites, fleas, skin irritation, but can't seem to find anything.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
vet check?

Lice, food allergy/environmental allergy. Really, you should have a vet check him out. I think there are some types of worm infestations, that can cause severe itching as well.

·
Registered
395 Posts
vet check?

Lice, food allergy/environmental allergy. Really, you should have a vet check him out. I think there are some types of worm infestations, that can cause severe itching as well.
Very much so agree with having a vet checking him out, but make sure you are going to a vet who knows allergies. I would also ask what are you feeding him? (not only what kibble but also what, if any, treats/snacks etc....)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very much so agree with having a vet checking him out, but make sure you are going to a vet who knows allergies. I would also ask what are you feeding him? (not only what kibble but also what, if any, treats/snacks etc....)
We've been feeding him Orijen large breed puppy food, as it has no grain and is almost all protein with very little filler. As for snacks and treats it's been organic cheddar cheese, and all natural peanut butter.

He has an appointment with the vet in a few days.

·
Registered
395 Posts
We've been feeding him Orijen large breed puppy food, as it has no grain and is almost all protein with very little filler. As for snacks and treats it's been organic cheddar cheese, and all natural peanut butter.

He has an appointment with the vet in a few days.
Keep us updated! Good luck with the appointment!
I would suggest try swapping him to a no chicken diet and see how that goes! I have found SOO many dogs allergic(rubbing, rashes, hives, hair loss, etc)to chicken when cooked! Its SOO not fun, I havent been able to have any of my dogs on chicken food for the past 15 years because of allergies!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Keep us updated! Good luck with the appointment!
I would suggest try swapping him to a no chicken diet and see how that goes! I have found SOO many dogs allergic(rubbing, rashes, hives, hair loss, etc)to chicken when cooked! Its SOO not fun, I havent been able to have any of my dogs on chicken food for the past 15 years because of allergies!
If you want to try a chicken-free food I know there are a couple TOTW formulas that don't contain chicken. It's a tad starchier then Orijen, I believe, but still grain-free and a very good food IMO.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you want to try a chicken-free food I know there are a couple TOTW formulas that don't contain chicken. It's a tad starchier then Orijen, I believe, but still grain-free and a very good food IMO.
Yep true true, I really like their salmon and lamb ones! We had the pug/x on a mix of the 2 before swapping over to Raw....he did decently well on them...there at least wasnt any hives, chewing/licking or hair loss like when he was on chicken food!!:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts