Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
OH sorry my bad LOL, I was under the assumption he/she was born already, sorry.
It's all good! I pretty much joined within the month that I put down the deposit for my dog and that was like... just on time to get in on the march litter.

Speaking of which - I just got an email confirming ONE out of the TWO dogs she bred IS pregnant! I should know about the other sometime next week!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
More pictures, 19 days (18 wake ups) till we pick her up :D getting allllll kinds of excited! The breeder was cleaning out their pen and we happened to get 7-8 inches of snow so she let them out to see how they did in the fresh snow. First time seeing/playing in it and as you can see it doesn't look like our little pup enjoys it too much haha.

"Hey Big dawgs what is this stuff? I don't like it, its cold" Breeder said the whole litter acted the same none of them really knew what to do.
IMG_1018.jpg IMG_1019.jpg IMG_1017.jpg IMG_1016.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Today was my start of waking up early to combat this a bit. I was an athlete from a young age all the way through college, however since college I have focused on work, rebuilding my car, and moving to another state. Now that that has all calmed down I decided I will start waking up an hour earlier than normal in preparation to take Liberty out in the morning, feed her, and play with her to wear her out a bit before we get ready for work. Since I desperately need to get back into shape once she is a bit older I am going to start taking her on runs/walks for that hour before work, then I will come home on my lunch hour let her out and play with her some more to wear her out a bit for the afternoon. Then she will only be in her cage 3-4 hours in the afternoon till my girlfriend gets home and can let her out. After I get home my girlfriend and I usually go on a walk/bike ride on one of the walking trails near us.

Luckily for us we live in a very young active area of a big city and they have tons of walking paths, the sidewalks are wider than normal paths and there are tons of neighborhoods to walk in. Plus within a quick drive there are plenty of parks to take her too and let her run.
I am very protective of my living residence and do not at all like strangers anywhere near my apartment, car, what have it so a dog walker would have to be a friend or neighbor I trust.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Today was my start of waking up early to combat this a bit. I was an athlete from a young age all the way through college, however since college I have focused on work, rebuilding my car, and moving to another state. Now that that has all calmed down I decided I will start waking up an hour earlier than normal in preparation to take Liberty out in the morning, feed her, and play with her to wear her out a bit before we get ready for work. Since I desperately need to get back into shape once she is a bit older I am going to start taking her on runs/walks for that hour before work, then I will come home on my lunch hour let her out and play with her some more to wear her out a bit for the afternoon. Then she will only be in her cage 3-4 hours in the afternoon till my girlfriend gets home and can let her out. After I get home my girlfriend and I usually go on a walk/bike ride on one of the walking trails near us.

Luckily for us we live in a very young active area of a big city and they have tons of walking paths, the sidewalks are wider than normal paths and there are tons of neighborhoods to walk in. Plus within a quick drive there are plenty of parks to take her too and let her run.
I am very protective of my living residence and do not at all like strangers anywhere near my apartment, car, what have it so a dog walker would have to be a friend or neighbor I trust.
thats a nice concept, and it is a good idea, but you might find that the puppy will ultimately decide the schedule LOL, thats what I had to deal with, and it changes, based on what he has had to eat, hoe much he drank etc ...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Yeah that plan is for when she gets bigger, get her on some type of schedule that we can at least make work... until then we are just kinda doing what she wants when she wants.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Yeah that plan is for when she gets bigger, get her on some type of schedule that we can at least make work... until then we are just kinda doing what she wants when she wants.
thats a good plan, same with training, dont really worry about stuff too early (sans house training, and things like come, leave it, drop it, and walking on lead) I myself try not to do things too formally, I think thats where I went wrong with Josefina, I didnt just let her be a puppy. With Lincoln I am taking a lot more different approach and its been a lot better this time around.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
thats a good plan, same with training, dont really worry about stuff too early (sans house training, and things like come, leave it, drop it, and walking on lead) I myself try not to do things too formally, I think thats where I went wrong with Josefina, I didnt just let her be a puppy. With Lincoln I am taking a lot more different approach and its been a lot better this time around.
Yeah I had some really good practice with Si (Speaking of which I will post pics of him being goofy) he was the first dog we have let inside so he gets a little more attention. But we let him be a pup but still taught him as times went, Potty training was a little easier cause he was pretty smart. He knew which door we always took him out of and we would make him bring objects to us that he wanted to play with or fetch. So we would associate sit and stay with events and he learned real quick but we didnt work him right away or try to teach him to do jobs right away. Slowly over time hes gotten it and hes kept his goofy as well as being a Highly intelligent dog.

He will fetch anything, Balance food on his head, and would die for his ball.
0927141308.jpg 20140510_185726.jpg 20140206_210825.jpg 20140606_161845.jpg 20140606_162707.jpg

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I bet you are getting excited about FINALLY getting that very cute puppy in your house.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
More than ever!!! I think everyone else is also, My girlfriends mom already bought her 5 toys and a portable water dish. I think she is more happy that we are getting a puppy than we are. They were thinking about getting a second dog for their lab to play with and I think Liberty will be the deciding factor of how bad they want another pup or just spoil ours.
Picture Update, Sun bathing with her brother and enjoying a nice soft pillow. T-Minus 11 Days!!!
IMG951138.jpg IMG951137.jpg IMG951135.jpg

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
YAY! Cant wait til you "blast off"! Just be warned, she might not be able to have anything in her crate or the place she will be staying, Lincoln still cant have anything in his crate right now LOL because he will shred it. But he will be 6 months old march 11th and as far as I can tell, all of his permanent teeth are in, so his chewing might taper off in the coming months and then he will be able to have bedding LOL

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Oh I am so excited! We are going to try an old towel in the bottom just in case she has an accident or wants something soft to lay on during the day. If that doesn't go well we may try a nylabone or something that she can chew on but not really shred till her chewing days are over. That is the biggest battle I am worried about is chewing, Since I have electronics and cables all around my desk she could get hold of.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Oh I am so excited! We are going to try an old towel in the bottom just in case she has an accident or wants something soft to lay on during the day. If that doesn't go well we may try a nylabone or something that she can chew on but not really shred till her chewing days are over. That is the biggest battle I am worried about is chewing, Since I have electronics and cables all around my desk she could get hold of.
It's pretty easy to block off electronics while puppies are small. I have rabbits who are much more of a cord chewing risk than dogs, so I'm pretty good at it now ;-) I use these module shelving units made of these wire grid pieces about 16"x16". You can easily build blockades around wires and electronics. You can also buy plastic tubing to go around the wires and provide protection.

Though IME, most dogs are not that interested in wires. Yes, puppies put everything in their mouths, but they tend to be attracted to things in the middle of their environment and not things hiding behind furniture. So unless you have wires out in the middle of the room and the puppy is left there alone, I don't think you'll have too much of a problem.

I've also never had a puppy destroy anything while I was home supervising. They are just not that fast or sneaky about it if you keep them confined to the rooms you are in, and you are paying attention. Once your pup is older you'll have a better feel for how chewy she is and when you think she can be trusted out alone, and even then you can confine her to a room with less stuff to get into.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
11 days seems like sooooo long. It will be here before you know it, GF mom will probably invest in Grand Dog items ;) Bumper stickers, mugs t-shirts wall plagues

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
elrohwen: Yeah most are hidden behind things but I have a desk with open bottoms in the living room and I have quite the computer set up with wires all over the back of it. I started wire tying them together with bread bag wire and trying to tuck as much as I could in hopes that the black spaghetti wont attract her haha. I have had rabbits too and your right they are more prone to chew random things.

luv mi pets: yes her exact words "When can I come visit my grandpuppy??" Their lab is quite spoiled as it is and I can only imagine how they are going to act when they see Liberty, Especially since they have been wanting another dog for a while.

Actually my girlfriend and I got stickers for our car that say "Haulin Auss" it was too funny to pass up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had an Heeler for 6 years in a house with a medium sized yard and THAT felt like we were pushing it. Still had to take him off leash at the local reservation twice a week to blow off extra steam. Great dogs - smart, loyal, friendly, funny as heck. Just be ready to take a lot of LONG walks (or get a new sofa every three months...)

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
elrohwen: Yeah most are hidden behind things but I have a desk with open bottoms in the living room and I have quite the computer set up with wires all over the back of it. I started wire tying them together with bread bag wire and trying to tuck as much as I could in hopes that the black spaghetti wont attract her haha. I have had rabbits too and your right they are more prone to chew random things.
Sounds like you'll be fine then. Rabbit proofing has been much harder than puppy proofing (except that the dog can get on shelves and counters) so you'll already be a pro at it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
TL;DR Active couple wanting to get an Australian cattle dog but live in an apartment looking for suggestions.

Long version:
My girlfriend and I have been looking at getting our first dog since we moved out of our parents houses and in together. We both have completed college and have been in the work force for around 1-3 years to give you a rough estimate of our ages. We recently moved in together and we have been together about 5 years, however we both agree there is something missing in our lives and that is a dog.

This wont be our first dog as we have both grown up with dogs in our families at all times. She grew up with labs and goldens, while I grew up with a slew of 2x goldens, 2x border collies, 1x german/husky mix, 2x labs and recently an ACD/collie mix.

We have been considering an Australian Cattle dog as our first dog together for a few reasons however we have one worry and that is we know ACDs are active little guys and we live in a 1 bedroom apartment (890ish square feet). Now trust me we have read everywhere people saying ACDs cant be apartment dogs they need a job 24/7 and we realize these dogs need lots of attention but alot of those people have never actually tried it just stating their opinion. My families ACD/collie pup is a fetch and bike ride machine and runs circles around our senior labs intelligence/trick wise. The intelligence is one of the main reasons we agreed we wanted an ACD along with its medium size. Here are our ideas and thoughts we would like to know if this would be ok to be done.

Since our apartment isn't too big we wanted something small-medium sized and I am not a fan of the small (barking cats) that are hard to train as cute as they may look but something like a lab or golden will be too big for our apartment with the cage being the biggest space eater.

I grew up on a farm and all the dogs I grew up with were trained pretty well by my dad, brother, and I to the point where we can take them places and not worry about them being off the leash. I will be training this ACD to do the same and learn plenty of tricks. I cant stand dogs that don't listen and I will expect highly of this dog, my girlfriend, and myself to make sure we all learn and teach correctly. My girlfriends dogs have been a mix of fetchers that wont leave you if you have their ball to dogs that are mamas boys and don't listen the best some times.

The dog will be crate trained and crated for at most 7 hours on certain days for the first couple years until it can be trusted to roam the living area. I work less than 15 min from the apartment so I will be going home on my lunch hour daily to let them out/potty/play. So max they would be crated 4 hours at a time.

We both love Fetch, Frisbee, games, and I enjoy roughhousing with dogs so the dog will get a daily walk and plenty of play time either at a dog park or behind the apartments playing fetch. We go on bike rides occasionally and especially when going camping with my family so they will get some jogging in. Of course there will be more bike rides when the weather is warmer.

Our current families dogs are pretty welcoming of new dogs and we plan to associate our pup with as many neighbors dogs and people as possible to keep it friendly. Currently we are one of the only people in our complex without a dog(s) so there will be lots of other dogs/people to mingle with. We also plan to take the dog everywhere we go when we visit family/camp/travel so the dog wont be kenneled unless its absolutely necessary.

We are hoping that raising a pup from a young age it will get use to the noises associated with living in an apartment so we can teach them commands like quiet early to keep them from barking while we are gone.

We have also considered a border collie since it is around the same size and intelligence, however we both would like an ACD way more. We are looking for input from people who have either done this or have suggestions that will help. Stories welcome.
Did you end up doing it? I'm in the same situation with a beautiful smart little ACD that I'm fostering and plan to foster fail. I've heard a lot of people be negative about the amount of training and activity needed, but thats one of my favorite things about dogs and so far this little girl. But I live in a small space as well (with many options for stimulation). Thanks also feel free to email me [email address deleted by moderator.]

·
Super Moderator
2,639 Posts
The original poster hasn't been active here in six years, so I'm closing this thread to further replies. If you want to start your own thread, our currently active members can share their cattle dog experience with you! And of course feel free to participate in any current discussions.

·
Super Moderator
12,174 Posts
A note and a safety concern. Posting your email address on an Internet forum is NEVER a good idea. Spammers harvest these addresses and sell them. Dogforums has a private messaging service that is, well, private.

Beni8106, I am editing out your email address for your protection.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.