Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Well we were a little late to the pick party there were only 3 of 9 left, We really really really wanted a blue merle but they were all said for. There were 2 red bi colored and 1 black bi colored left. A male and female red and a female black. My girlfriend wasnt much of a fan for the reds as I was and thought black and white would look classy. We both agreed on a female so we went with the black and white female. After talking with all the previous litter buyers we feel like we are going to get a good pup. Everyone was extremely over the top happy with their pups and the whole process.
Here is a pic, we put a hold payment on her Monday but verbally agreed the money will be there we just need to meet up.
View attachment 193738
I'm squeeing so hard people at work are wondering what I'm on, but I don't care. She looks so adorable! You may get people mistaking her for a Border Collie though.

Thank you SO much for sharing! I really hope you start a thread for your little girl and keep us updated throughout her life!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Their tails are being docked like aussies have so I am hoping that may be a little more of a give away that she isn't a border collie. however under that long fur who will know where the tail is at haha. That was my worry at first when we heard there were only bi reds and blacks left. I instantly thought shes gonna look just like a border collie and people will think so too. But I am fine with that I love border collies, I can guarantee there will be lots of pictures and videos of her as she grows up so I may have to start a thread of new tricks she learns and goofy quirks.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Their tails are being docked like aussies have so I am hoping that may be a little more of a give away that she isn't a border collie. however under that long fur who will know where the tail is at haha. That was my worry at first when we heard there were only bi reds and blacks left. I instantly thought shes gonna look just like a border collie and people will think so too. But I am fine with that I love border collies, I can guarantee there will be lots of pictures and videos of her as she grows up so I may have to start a thread of new tricks she learns and goofy quirks.
I wish you lived close by so that we could have our Aussies play together haha. Are you sure their tails are being docked or do they just have the naturally bobbed tail? The breeder I went with doesn't dock the tails if they are born with them. I'm not sure what people's thoughts are on tail-docking on this site, but I wouldn't do it unless it was for the health of the dog.

I have a friend who has a German Pointer and she just got his tail docked because he would hit it on everything and it started to bleed and she was afraid he could really injure himself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I asked about the tail docking, I was hoping to catch them in time to suggest not docking our pups tail because I love a dogs tail and am a firm believer that you can tell what a dog is thinking or going to do by how they hold their tail. It always helps me keep tabs on Si when he is loose in a public area, but the breeder said the tails had to be docked within 3-5 days of birth so I was a little late.

I have heard the arguments of tails being docked vs not, health reasons, breed reasons, certain naturally bobbed so its normal to dock if the breed is normally bobbed. I have heard it all and would rather not argue if its the right thing to do or not no one knows and its all opinions. I would rather this thread not derail too badly.

With that being said I'm not too mad though I had a husky/german shepherd mix that was run over by one of our farm trucks when she was 2 years old. She didn't get hurt (which was a blessing) other than her tail broke and she started chewing at it so we had to have a vet dock it. She was embarrassed with it at first and we missed her long beautiful tail but she got use to it and we did too. Really cute to see her little nub bounce back and forth. My girlfriend wasn't partial to docked or not she liked both so its not a big deal.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Well just to update the thread we have been looking around, researching and searching for breeders. We found an aussie shepherd near us that just had pups last week, so they will be ready in early April. Been talking with the breeder and got contacts of 3 people who bought 4 dogs from their previous litter and it sounds like they know what they are doing. Got great reviews from the previous litters owners. Just to let some of you sit easy they are $600 pups and they are CKC registered. Breeder is doing first set of puppy shots and 3 rounds of dewormer before we are able to take them. They are also giving us a puppy starter kit, collar that fits and a toy they enjoy. I have gotten pictures of the sire and dam and they are both beautiful aussies. Also since I was in contact with 3 previous litter owners I received loads of pictures of their pups.
Does the breeder have a website? I would like to see their dogs ... maybe I know them!

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Good luck with that, Lincoln still gets mistaken for a BC LOL. I even get the whole "WHY did you dock that BC's tail!!!" Uh ... maybe because he is not a BC LOL

Also yes a picture thread is a must!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Very cute pup. I love the blaze.

I have 3 dogs that have tails docked. I have never been asked about the dog's tail. A doberman, an Miniature American Shepherd, and a chihuahua. But I tell you the Aussies are the winner of the wiggle butt club.

Welcome to the wiggle butt club.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I asked about the tail docking, I was hoping to catch them in time to suggest not docking our pups tail because I love a dogs tail and am a firm believer that you can tell what a dog is thinking or going to do by how they hold their tail. It always helps me keep tabs on Si when he is loose in a public area, but the breeder said the tails had to be docked within 3-5 days of birth so I was a little late.

I have heard the arguments of tails being docked vs not, health reasons, breed reasons, certain naturally bobbed so its normal to dock if the breed is normally bobbed. I have heard it all and would rather not argue if its the right thing to do or not no one knows and its all opinions. I would rather this thread not derail too badly.

With that being said I'm not too mad though I had a husky/german shepherd mix that was run over by one of our farm trucks when she was 2 years old. She didn't get hurt (which was a blessing) other than her tail broke and she started chewing at it so we had to have a vet dock it. She was embarrassed with it at first and we missed her long beautiful tail but she got use to it and we did too. Really cute to see her little nub bounce back and forth. My girlfriend wasn't partial to docked or not she liked both so its not a big deal.
I can tell Lincoln's moods without him having a tail and he has no problems communicating with other dogs.

Plus, you know ... butt wiggle!!!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I have only ever owned docked breeds so no argument there. I prefer tails and am very excited that my next Welsh will have a tail, but there aren't any health issues with a docked tail

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
There are arguments made about movement and communication with docked tails.. but meh. My Aussie does awesome in agility and other dogs are more worried about her eye contact than her tail. Could she be more balanced with a tail? Maybe. She is still more balanced than many dogs with one. As far as health problems.. uhm never heard of a single possible one. You won't have to worry about stepping on it or hitting it into the door either. They are much more expressive than you'd think and Aussies as a breed as just very expressive.

Congrats on the Aussie. They are a fun breed but can also be stubborn. Start with those off leash skills early but keep your expectations reasonable. People will still think you have a Border Collie. I have a black tri and I get Border Collie all the time.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
There are arguments made about movement and communication with docked tails.. but meh. My Aussie does awesome in agility and other dogs are more worried about her eye contact than her tail. Could she be more balanced with a tail? Maybe. She is still more balanced than many dogs with one. As far as health problems.. uhm never heard of a single possible one. You won't have to worry about stepping on it or hitting it into the door either. They are much more expressive than you'd think and Aussies as a breed as just very expressive.

Congrats on the Aussie. They are a fun breed but can also be stubborn. Start with those off leash skills early but keep your expectations reasonable. People will still think you have a Border Collie. I have a black tri and I get Border Collie all the time.
Yep, I need to start playing the "if I had a dollar" game for every time someone calls Lincoln a BC LOL, its ok, Josefina has been called an aussie before!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
These 7 weeks are going to take forever. we have been gathering needed things as the week has gone and its making us even more eager to get her.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
These 7 weeks are going to take forever. we have been gathering needed things as the week has gone and its making us even more eager to get her.
you will go through a lot of feelings, excitement, nervousness, and the occasional "OMG what was I THINKING?!?!?! Am I ready?!?!?!" LOL

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Also note that we're not saying "you must pay $2k for a dog". We're saying that most well bred dogs (meaning health tested, good temperament, and proven to be a good example of the breed either through show or working or sport or whatever) are going to cost that much money. Less than that and you are likely going to be supporting back yard breeders or puppy mills.

There are other options though. Go through a rescue, go through a shelter, go through a private rehome on Craigslist. Just don't give you hard earned money to shady people breeding puppies to make a couple hundred bucks with no thought put into it.
This varies greatly with geography. Midwest and south are generally less expensive than NE and west coast. Sure, you can find expensive dogs anywhere if you're looking for hunting competition or herding competition backgrounds. Testing is more important for some breeds than others. You may have trouble finding a good ACD breeder who will sell to you knowing that you live in an apartment, though.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
you will go through a lot of feelings, excitement, nervousness, and the occasional "OMG what was I THINKING?!?!?! Am I ready?!?!?!" LOL
Yeah I've got about... oh three months of this to go through and I've already had the "OMG what was I THINKING!?" part lol. It didn't last very long though.

Chin up!! 7 weeks will go by so fast and then you'll have your puppy and you'll be so happy! Then next thing you know it'll be starting school, getting a drivers licence, going off to college... ;)

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Yeah, just know that cold feet is very normal. Even those of us who are experienced in dogs experience cold feet. Because each puppy is a new adventure, a new endeavor, no matter how experienced you are. the biggest adjustment I had to make is the going outside before bed, AND at 5 in the morning, because he still cant hold it and has teething diarrhea on top of that, and I would rather be safe than sorry. But all in all he really isnt that bad of a puppy ... it could be worse, that I know. He could be a self serving jerk like Josefina LOL.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I just did something very stupid... I looked at the picture of your (Crashher0) dog again, squeed, and my heart hurt a bit. -sigh- come on time go faster! ><

@OwnedbyACDs - Haha yeah I think it was the only time I got cold feet. I also thought I was going to be doing this whole dog thing 100% completely on my own, but even my roommates are like "soooo if you aren't home yet can we take the dog out to play with it and let it go to the bathroom??" and just finding this forum has been a tremendous help as well

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I just did something very stupid... I looked at the picture of your (Crashher0) dog again, squeed, and my heart hurt a bit. -sigh- come on time go faster! ><

@OwnedbyACDs - Haha yeah I think it was the only time I got cold feet. I also thought I was going to be doing this whole dog thing 100% completely on my own, but even my roommates are like "soooo if you aren't home yet can we take the dog out to play with it and let it go to the bathroom??" and just finding this forum has been a tremendous help as well
I have a different view on that, personally, no one feeds, plays with, or takes my dogs out except ME. Esp when they are young. I know this is a kind of old school way of thinking, but I believe that me being the provider in which all things good, fun, and necessary for their sustainability of life. You dont have to do it that way, I just want to tip the odds in my favor that I will be my dogs fave person LOL

61 - 80 of 120 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.