Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I was invited to go to Bend to a dog event that was holding some lure coursing trails. I'd never done it before, and wasn't sure how my dogs would react, but both of them thought it was AWESOME!

Juneau chasin some bags.

Conker chasin some bags.

Who'd a thunk that chasing a set of plastic bags attached to a string would be so fun? I didn't.

At first Conker was nervous about the whole thing, but after a short while of watching other dogs run, he had relaxed, then got amped up a bit. After his first run he knew what the bags were for, and that he'd get to run again. But he didn't get too excited while watching, and would just track the movement of the bags. On his second and third runs, he would shake with excitement as he was waiting to be released to chase.

Juneau was spazzy from the moment the saw the lure. She didn't really know what was going on, but that thing was moving, and moving things get chased. After she watched some other dogs run, and after her first run, she knew what was going down and she turned into a BEAST. She was very difficult to control when other dogs were running. She'd lunge, bark, shake, and whine as the lure whizzed across the grass and other dogs chased.

It was a ton of fun, both dogs got their CA (Coursing Ability) titles, and I hope to be able to do it again.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I love the pics! Action shots are the best! Conker and Juneau look like they are having a blast!

And I love the coursing! I did it with a couple of my Afghans back in the 70's. It was sooo much fun! The dogs really looked forward to it! We had little white flags for lures that they chased and sometimes furry cloth ... to replicate prey! Lol!

Actually ... it has been so long ago ... I don't even know if the place still exists!

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i thought of that myself and think the dogs would have a blast (if, like melundie said, they didn't just try to herd the bags :))......and i, also, love the running shot of Juneau...she's hauling....

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Conker looks like he's flying!

I'm so jealous of you. I know Kabota would love lure coursing. He'll chase anything that moves. I wish we had lure coursing by me.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ETA: I'm sure my dogs would just try to herd the lure, but I'm still intrigued. Where did you find trial info?
Some of her herding breeds actually did try this, and got really confused when the bags ignored them! It was quite entertaining, actually. Some of them though, there was one BC who just FLEW down the course and attacked the bag at the end, so it is possible for herding breeds to do it. Some dogs don't really get it the first or second run, but on their third, it finally clicked with them that they are supposed to chase and they ran the whole course.
Juneau is half BC, and she had a blast. But she's got a monstrous prey drive, no herding instinct in that one.

I was invited and knew nothing about the trail, but when I got home, I looked it up on the AKC's website. They have a section for lure coursing with all the info, regulations, and when coursing events are being held. Kennel clubs in your area would also have information about it if they did it. Some hold practice runs that I imagine cost a lot less than an actual test, so if you are unsure of how your dog will do, find one of those to run first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts