Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor baby girl Rocket was diagnosed with congestive heart failure a few days ago. She has an enlarged heart, a heart murmur and a blockage in her lung which is related. She's been couching off and on for a few weeks (it was first believed to be bronchitis) but other than that she's been fine. But on Tuesday she started to take Enalapril (heart medication) and a few hours after her first dose she started to have trouble breathing. She has short, fast breaths which is clearly uncomfortable for her. She has trouble sleeping at night because of it and I'm so worried about her that I can't sleep either. It's downright horrible!

I went back to the vet on Wednesday and they added Lasix to her other meds (she's also taking Doxycycline and Tussigon for the cough) but so far there is little improvement. She still has the breathing problem. I just talked to the vet and she didn't give me any good advice. She suggested that I stop the Enalapril for a few days and see what happens in case that is what's causing the breathing problem and if there is no improvement by next week we can try a bronchodialator (sp). I'd really like to do something now though.
I also have an appointment with a cardiologist for an echocardiogram on the 17th but that's ten days away and I don't want my baby girl to feel like this until then.
She is eating fine and she is still happy to go outside but she gets a bit tired after a while.

Does anyone have any experience with congestive heart failure and breathing problems? Is there anything I can do? I would really appreciate any input.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Since difficulty breathing is a severe side effect, I'd say the vet telling you to take her off the Enalapril is good advice, and I'd take it. Good luck with your dog. I had one old dog with conjestive heart failure and it was a toss up which would get him first - his heart or his bad back. His bad back won.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts