Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, long time lurker and it's been a while since my last post. I made up this thread on this forum since I thought it gets the most attention.

So for the past couple of years my dogs have been growing old, they are all mixed small breeds. The problem we've been having is with what it looks to be congestive heart failure cough, we lost a couple of dogs already related to that, we took them to vets, they gave them meds but nothing seemed to work, especially the last one I investigated a little bit more and found out that the disease is not something they get from an infection but rather very common in old dogs. In me desperation, because I have a current dog sick with the same issue, I've been looking at videos and reading articles about the disease and what can be done to help the dog (like I told the vet, I know there's no cure, but if there's something that I can give them to help them go through it then great!).

So, about 6 weeks ago, I noticed my 13 yr old female started coughing more than usual and it was getting worse everyday. I took her to the vet so he could have her checked, I was told there were no signs of heart issues but rather could be a respiratory infection (we had been getting really crazy weather sudden changes one week really warm then cold, etc). So the vet gave her prednisone for 7 days. To my joy, she got better really fast, after the 7 days, the vet checked her again and told me to give her just half a pill every 3rd day (just 3 more pills for another 7 days *10 pills total*) and she steel had some coughing but nothing alarming. After she ended the medication, the coughing came back, we went to the vet and he told me that we couldn't give her anymore prednisone because of the possible side effects, etc. I was told to let her rest a bit and watch her how she acted. Well it only got worse without the meds so I took her to another vet just to have a second opinion because the coughing wouldn't stop and once this new vet checked her out, I left her there for a couple of hours, when I came back he told me IT WAS congestive heart failure but this one prescribed her ramipril, he also gave her an anti inflammatory shot just for that day and the ramipril was for a daily pill. This started on monday, the first 3 days I noticed she was a bit better, slept well and all, but yesterday the coughing came back and today she has been coughing also.

Today I called the vet and told me to give the ramipril a few more days to have an effect on the dog, he told me not to get desperate because of the coughing as it is a "normal" thing with this disease. He said "I can give you some pills for the coughing and it'll go away but the issue will still be the same". The dog eats well, plays and gets crazy when she sees a family member so that's kind of a relief for me because I haven't seen her sad or anything like that but it's the coughing that sometimes I just can't handle it.

So, like I said, I've been watching videos of the disease, reading articles and all, and I've seen all kinds of things from people that even gave their dogs vitamins, changed their diet and they say it helped considerably... has anyone gone though this with their pets? What did you do that made it easier for your dog? Can we give them small dosages of vitamins? Is there something that can be done to minimize the coughing?

Sorry for the long post, I appreciate any input you can provide.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
IANAvet but I'd say that if something could be corrected with vitamins it wasn't congestive heart failure.

If the dog is overweight, changing diet to get the weight off won't cure the heart problems, but it could reduce stress on the body, which could alleviate symptoms. But I would definitely consult with a vet before starting a weightloss plan with an older dog, let alone one with heart issues.

Sorry that you and your old pup have to deal with this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI and thanks!

No, it was indicated by the vet that I should only feed her chicken if possible, boiled and nothing else, this to reduce sodium, salt, etc. I lost two dogs in the past year to congestive heart failure, they both had the coughing and unfortunately there was nothing I could do about it, never been through this disease with any of my pets. So I know this wont go away but if there's something that can be done to minimize the coughing and give her a better quality of life then I'd love to try it. I investigated in youtube and articles, there were some people saying that both arginine and carnitine are good for the pets heart, there was this guy that gave his dog vitamins along with these plus chicken and beef after the vet told him there was nothing else they could do about the disease and he says he noted a big difference. I'm not trying to play veterinarian but I do think they sometimes don't try harder or just take the easy route and say just give him these pills and that is it. Or maybe I'm just desperate to help my dog, I don't know. But if somebody has experience with this disease and can relate or has something that you tried that helped your dog to have a better quality of life, cause I'm aware the disease won't go away, then I'd like to try it.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
She'll go downhill faster if all she eats is chicken. That's an unbalanced diet that doesn't support her body correctly. You could contact Balance It as they can work with your vet to create a diet designed to support your dog best way possible.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input Kathyy.

I'm foreign, live in Mexico and found this forum a few years ago, always been of great help. So basically over here is just the vet and yourself, so basically I'm just trying to find options that can help, of course I thought that only chicken sounded weird but I thought of changing it some days to beef and also add a multivitamin specially for dogs.

She had some coughing bouts this morning, I just spent some time with her and she looks happy and active plus she's been eating normal, is just the cough that makes me sick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts