Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I was assisting with a play group and this adorable 25 lb black fluffy thing came up behind me me and poked me with her nose. It was love at first sight, and she is the sweetest thing, has a great temperament and gets along with every other dog she's met in the shelter so far. She is not up for adoption yet for medical reasons. If I recall correctly, she is ~2 years old. She seems to be housebroken but has little else in the way of (noticeable) training, and I really think she would be a lot of fun to train from the beginning. She is also a more playful than Snowball is, and actually plays tug and fetch.

I honestly think she and Snowball will get along well - she's playful but not really rambunctious. I also feel like Snowball will benefit from having a doggie friend. I was thinking the addition of a calmer dog in the house might help mitigate some of his reactivity, but I'm not sure if that's true or not and so I would really appreciate any insights into potential issues that we might encounter by adding a second dog. Is there any chance that she might "catch" Snowball's reactivity? What other things should I be considering about bringing in a second dog?

I also want to be absolutely clear that I want this gorgeous girl; we are only considering her as a companion for Snowball because I've fallen in love with her. Its less, we want a second dog generally, and more, we want her specifically.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
It is possible that she will learn to bark at other dogs from Snowball doing it. It doesn't mean she'll truly become reactive, but dogs do learn things from each other. Separate walks would resolve that issue.

The only other concerns are basically the practical time/money/space ones, that I'm sure you've thought about.

My vote of course is DO IT.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Do it!

So rarely does anyone have those moments where she KNOWS this is the right dog. My roommate felt that way about Sumic and asked me to call off the potential-new-family meeting I had scheduled for the next day. I think things would have taken a completely different course had she decided to wait it out.
If anything, can you offer to foster and just fail if/when things work out? And if not, you can continue to foster if the right family comes along?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I agree, she should be yours. :) She sounds darling.

I totally read this thread title: "Conflicted... want love advice..."

·
Registered
66 Posts
I say go for it. Dogs are pretty adaptive, may be a little rough in the beginning but maybe not. Depends on the temperment of the dog you now have. I think they actually like someone of their own kind of "hang out "with. Someone to play with and keep them company when they are home alone. Make sure they meet on neutral ground. You don't want to start off with territorial issues.

I think at first they will have to be watched together to make sure they get along but if things go well and they probably will especially if they are different sexes your dog will thank you for bringing home a companion for him.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I agree that she is more likely to pick up on his barking than he pick up on her calm attitude. I think a puppy could be more likely to catch the actual reactivity, but since she's mature and good with other dogs, she'll probably be ok.

I think you should get her if money/time/commitments line up! You could have a black dog and a white dog - opposites attract :)

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If anything, can you offer to foster and just fail if/when things work out? And if not, you can continue to foster if the right family comes along?
I would foster her in a heartbeat, but she will be going up for adoption within the week, barring any new medical issues. She was slated to go up for adoption this weekend but had some diarrhea, so they pulled her from the list.

The shelter requires meet-and-greets with all dogs in the household, which are done in the outside pens, usually.

·
Registered
717 Posts
If its feasible, and ok for you/ your family/ and Snowball can warm up to her....
Of course!
(you know asking us is like offering Crack to Crack addicts right? LOL)....

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If its feasible, and ok for you/ your family/ and Snowball can warm up to her....
Of course!
(you know asking us is like offering Crack to Crack addicts right? LOL)....
LOL, yeah... starting to see the flaw in my plan of asking you guys for advice, haha.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
LOL, yeah... starting to see the flaw in my plan of asking you guys for advice, haha.
*laughs* Have we ever told a long standing member they SHOULDN'T adopt another dog?

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
I don't know CptJack, if I had one of those moments now I hope forum members would have the sense to point me to my recent adoption-fail and give me a big NO :D

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

She must've cleared medical this morning. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight....

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
At least take Snowball to meet her. If you want and can afford another dog, and it won't harm your current dog (which it doesn't sound like it will), then there's no reason not to.

Casper and Crystal do feed off each other's energy a bit on walks, but it hasn't been a huge issue. They have their own distinct personalities and they don't react to everything the same. When Casper's SA was worse, he'd bark and howl when I left the apartment, but Crystal stayed silent.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was not to be. The phone was busy when I called, and by the time I got off work and got out there, she was gone. Actually, she was adopted before I even got off work.

On the plus side, that means I have more time to teach Snowball how to bow...

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Drats! Well, happy to hear that she's found a home. And you already have a fantastic and adorable dog. And so it goes :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts