Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again everyone,

My Golden Retriever developed a strange rash-like condition in one side of the head in the whiskers area. It showed up about 2 weeks ago, and although it started to look better, today it looks worse again and I'm getting worried.

He is almost 8 years old; never had a single health condition before; his behavior hasn't change a bit; again, never had a skin condition before; changed from liquid anti-tick/fleas protection to collar ones 2 years ago (works great and he never seemed to react to it); as for food, our meals leftovers have been his only food source for most of his life.

I'm trying to figure out what it is and if it could be serious...

Please take a look at the pictures I took:
http://img843.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=1001149a.jpg

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Looks like a potential staph infection or a reaction to some kind of insect or spider bite, I would put a call into your vet for diagnosis and treatment options.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Could also be an ingrown hair causing an infection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be an infection. Sometimes he chases cats in the yard, maybe he got scratched and got infected (but I don't really believe that...).

I wish it was just ingrown hair, but I got a bad feeling...

·
Registered
933 Posts
How is he today??? Were you able to get a diagnosis??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How is he today??? Were you able to get a diagnosis??
Thanks for your concern RedGermanPinscher! I took him to the vet and his is on anti inflammatory and antibiotics. It seems better already to me, and the vet said it should recover quickly (unless it is something else) and to give it a week.
I'll be back with news when the medication ends.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Thanks for your concern RedGermanPinscher! I took him to the vet and his is on anti inflammatory and antibiotics. It seems better already to me, and the vet said it should recover quickly (unless it is something else) and to give it a week.
I'll be back with news when the medication ends.
Glad to hear he is on the mend!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts