Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know dogs eat grass to settle their stomach. But my dogs eat grass all the time. They look like cows in the yard. Mouthfuls at a time, every time I let them out. Is this something I should be concerned about? :confused:

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Have you asked your vet? If it's that excessive, I'd want to make sure there's no underlying medical thing going on in either of them. What do you feed?

That said, there are a lot of dogs who "graze," so it may not be a problem.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I certainly hope not because my dog does that too. He's only thrown up once from eating grass in the almost 3 years I've had him and he likes to eat grass and leaves all the time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have a vet appointment June 5th to have the female spayed so I will mention it then. I feed them Pedigree puppy chow. They get 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups at night. I have had a lot of dogs over my years, and a few have ate grass, but not as much as these guys. The only other thing that worries me is I know certain plants are poisonious for dogs. I don't want them to get ahold of something bad.

Well ara28, I will def repost what my vet says about it :) Glad to know my twins aren't the only one though lol

·
Registered
968 Posts
The only other thing that worries me is I know certain plants are poisonious for dogs. I don't want them to get ahold of something bad.

Well ara28, I will def repost what my vet says about it :) Glad to know my twins aren't the only one though lol
I don't know the names of the plants that are bad or good, but I know what the ones he likes to eat look like so if he moves towards something that's not his normal choice, I redirect him right away.

i know oleander is a big NO NO, but that's for animals and humans.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My problem is idk what any of them look like, names won't help me lol. But their favorite is just plain grass. And acorns.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I just learned through observation. It took awhile, but I started to notice a pattern of what he ate because he would always gravitate to the same things and since he never got sick, i made the assumption that it was ok.

I've also noticed that occasionally he'll see some leaves that look similar to the ones he normally eats and he'll go to pull them off the branch but immediately stop and move on. I guess he realizes that that's not his normal leaves so he doesn't eat them.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm NOT an expert, but maybe it's time to put them on a better quality food? Maybe it's a nutrition thing?

Again, I'm not an expert. Just a thought.

·
Registered
968 Posts
My dog has always eaten grass/leaves, but I noticed that on the different foods he was on, he would eat more or less grass, but he's always eaten the grass.

He ate LOTS of grass when he was on nature's variety and eagle pack. now he's on wellness and when i started him on the chicken he ate a good bit of grass but not as much as the other two brands and now he's on wellness white fish and sweet potatoe and his grass consumption has decreased, but he still does eat grass and leaves.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I was thinking that it was their food, any suggestions?
Bailey is fed a high quality kibble (Wellness and Natural Balance) and still loves to eat grass. That said, I would still upgrade to a better food.
Such as;
Innova/EVO
Wellness
Orijen
Taste of the Wild
Natural Balance
Nature's Variety
Merrick
Fromm
Blue Buffalo
...to name a few

1 - 12 of 12 Posts