Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted a 1.5yr French bull dog / boxer mix. He's about 40lbs. My roommate has a Pomeranian and a dashound both under 10 pounds and older.

Since he's 4 or 5 times their size it's pretty scary when they fight over toys or food or sometimes he just wants to play with them but he's too big too rough, too scary and they are totally not into it. We have found bite marks on the little ones. Very concerning because a Pomeranian is like a twig and it would not take much to seriously hurt or kill him.

What can we do?

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I would keep them separated until the bigger dog is taught to leave the little ones alone. I have big and small dogs. I never leave them alone together even though they all get along. A big dog can hurt a little dog without meaning to. When mine get bones or Kongs to chew on, the big dogs are crated where they can chew in peace, the same with toys, they are not left around unless they play quietly with them. If the big dog keeps trying to play roughly with the little ones, I would keep him on leash so you can teach him to lie down and play quietly.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I would keep them separated at all times. If you can't do that, one of you should start looking for a new place to live, because if the smaller dogs already have bite marks, it's only a matter of time before he seriously injures or kills one of them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts