Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I just noticed in our 6 year old GSD female a small mirky line in her eye at first I was thinking cateract but it doesnt look like a developing cateract, then I started to think maybe her and the pup were rough housing and she got a surface scratch, I never noticed her in any pain or having a closed watering eye. I dont know how long its been there but it doesnt seem to be causing and discomfort.

Its no bigger than like 1 mm long and like 1/3 mm wide. Its ver small. I am setting up a vet appointment Monday but what do you think it may be? Im hoping its just a surface scratch from her and the pup playing and it will heal, but im also concerned it may be a developing cateract.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Are you sure it isnt a hair? When I groom that happens sometimes and my heart always skips a beat, thinking, "There is no way I could have nicked this dogs eye" and then after a minute the dog's tears flush it out.

Or possibly an eye booger?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Its definetly not a hair ive tried blowing at it, it looks more like a scratch than a developing cataract, and doesnt seem to be causing her any pain, so im just worried. If its a scratch will it heal in due time?

Well I took her to the vet that looks next door and he took a quick look to him it looked like an old scratch that has already healed and should be fine, I guess I never noticed it before :-\.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried getting a pic of it with our camera, I believe this is it I dont think its the light or anything but it looks alot bigger in the photo than it actually is, to me it kind of looks like something wet dried on her cornea and hasnt come off yet. She doest seem to be in any pain nor is she bothering it, so I have no clue what it is.

It doesnt look like an ulcer as it isnt causing her any pain at all and it I dont think it looks like a scratch but like something got in her eye and it dried.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Your dog has a very pretty eye. To me, it doesn't look like anything too serious. Maybe just something stuck or a minor cornea abrasion. I think it should be ok to try to wash out the eye. Not something I've needed to do, but I think just water and a shot glass over the eye can do it. Don't rub the eye in any way.

Of course, the main thing is to keep an eye on it (darn puns). Any injury can become infected. And, in the worse case, melanoma can start in the eye.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I took her to the vet and he said it was a small corneal abrasion, then get hit with "it looks like shes starting to develop cataracts", but he just looked in her eye in dim light, so im gonna take her to a vet soon for a second opinion.

Right now she doesnt have any seeing issues it seems so I will continue to watch her eyes for a few months to watch for cloudiness of the eyes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts