Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: Once measured, the punctures were actually about 1/5 of a cm apart, with the whole wound being about 2/5 cm to half a cm. Is this too small to be a bat bite? Also in hindsight maybe I should mention the dog used to have folliculitis, which may be coming back slightly, would that be able to produce the small punctures I mentioned?

My dog had a small wound on her arm yesterday, I took a closer look at it and it seemed like it may have been a small bite mark, with two puncture wounds about 1/5 a cm apart. I assume either a spider or a bat. There was little blood, but I cleaned the wound either way, without gloves mind you. I was worried because I have these small lesions on my hand from the dry weather that if it were a bat that bit my dog, I might be exposed to rabies. So I called my local county health department to see if I should seek PEP, and the woman on the phone seemed very quick to dismiss me, she then asked if I was sure it was a bat or not, I said I had no idea, then she told me "call animal control to quarantine your dog" and hung up on me. My dog is current on her rabies vaccine, so I ask, for such a small bite, do I call animal control? Should I still be considering seeking out PEP? What will they do if I call animal control? My dog is very old and not good with strangers, if they were to quarantine her how long would it be for?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Rabies laws vary by state. It's really best to get into contact your veterinarian and they can help you follow due diligence plus get into contact with the appropriate government entity. I know the health department employee that you talked to was unhelpful, but I'd keep trying until someone can give you an actual answer. They should help you determine if there's an actual risk of rabies exposure and guide you on what to do next.

For example, let's look at how things go in my state. The local health director, operating under the law, gets to make the call (on both exposure risk and quarantine/euthanasia) and everyone else has to go along with it. They have the absolute final say. Typically, a vaccinated dog that is potentially exposed to rabies is required to get a booster within 5 days and is then pretty good to go. Quarantines are usually only enforced if the pet (vaccinated or vaccinated) bites a human or if the rabies exposure of an unvaccinated pet is questionable but within reason (AND the local health director allows it - they can require euthanasia in lieu of quarantine). For bites to humans the quarantine time is 10 days. For potential exposure of unvaccinated pets the quarantine time is 6 months (at the owner's expense).

All of this being said, bat bites are usually really hard to find. Most of the time exposure is determined by one being found in the household (or the dog being found playing with it...). Still, it never hurts to have an overabundance of caution. You have at least saved yourself a lot of headache by keeping your dog's vaccination current. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm realizing now that it was a bit rediculous of me to assume this was a possible exposure to rabies. I have no evidence of a bat, and have not known bats to nest near my neighborhood in over 10 years (also the fact that its winter and don't they hybernate?). She has a skin condition that creates small infected hair follicols to look like little puncture wounds, and she goes into the thick vines in our back yard that is full of spiders and bugs and all sorts of things that may have cut her. And the punctures were very small, not to mention I don't even recall it bleeding, I only remember the wound having pus. I pretty much only assumed it was a bat because that'd be the scariest option. With no evidence of a bat and several other more likely scenarios, I actually think it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume it wasn't a bat. Sorry I troubled everyone on here but I think it would be fine to leave this one be. Unless for some reason I get an overwhelming response of people telling me I should reconsider for this reason or that reason then I think I'm gonna stick with this decision.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts