Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Stoli, my female shih-tzu has been getting little knots in her fur. She usually gets them where she licks or scratches. I am good with getting them out however the other day she flipped over for me to scratch her tummy and I noticed "down there" looking a bit odd.

Her "peepee" area looks dark brown. Now, that color can totally be due to urin staining the fur surrounding it. I am now noticing the hair matting completely around the area she urinates from. She will NOT let me get close to it to cut any of the hair and at the same time I am terrified of hurting her. I am worried that the matted hair could cause an infection of some kind.

My cousin is a vet and told me order malaseb pleget wipes to assist in any irritation. But, that won't help the hair issue. I just don't know what to do.....is this something I should bring to the vets attention? Anyone experience this weird situation?

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I would get someone to help hold her and carefully trim the hair off. If you are unable to do it yourself, perhaps take her into a groomer to do it. It must be uncomfortable for your dog.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the matted hair would be tough to cut...she won't let me near it even with someone holding her. Maybe the groomer could do it....

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Take her into a groomer. We're used to the struggling dogs and have some techniques to get them to calm down. Usually with any groom we shave the sanitary (privates and a small patch around the bum) with a short 10 blade to help keep the area mat free

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take her into a groomer. We're used to the struggling dogs and have some techniques to get them to calm down. Usually with any groom we shave the sanitary (privates and a small patch around the bum) with a short 10 blade to help keep the area mat free
Thanks!! This is what I needed to hear.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My vet told me that the area gets brown from the saliva... from licking too much.

You might want to get her checked out and make sure there isn't a physical reason for the excessive licking.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, she is spayed.

That is what my cousin (who is a vet) said. She told me to order Malaseb Plegets. They are to assist in cleaning the area to kill any bacteria that may be causing her to lick down there. I really think this problem is stemming from the matting in the area.

The area is matted and it may be unfomfortable for her. Plus it is stained from the urine...which could cause even more discomfort. Don't get me wrong, she is running, playing etc- without having problems. But at times I catch her licking there over and over again.

I gave her a bath yesterday and tried to clean the area more. The malaseb plegets should arrive soon and we are bringing her to the vet within the week for her updated shots. I will have him look at her to see what he can do. I am convinced she needs to be shaved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts