Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an Innotek underground dog fence because we have a large property (3/4 acre) and cannot afford a physical fence at this time. Total cost of unit for one dog and wire $250. My only issue is since we installed the fence our electrical cost has increased by 80%.

Our normal winter monthly electrical bill is $165 a month. The first month after installing the fence we had a $300 bill. I saw the information below on another site describing how to calculate how much the electrical cost of the fence should be:

Power= Volts times amps
P= 12 volts x .85 amps
P=10.2 watts

To calculate cost per month:
KiloWattHour=10.2 watts times 1 hour =.0102 KWH per hour of operation
.0102 KWH times 720 hours (30 day)=7.344 Total KWH per month
7.344 KWH at .10 cents per KWH= .74 cents per month cost to operate.

Insert your KWH cost in the place of ten cents to arrive at your true cost.

Our electricity in my town in NC is 14 cents per KWH, so based on these calculations the fence should cost me $1.02 a month. No way near the $135 increase. I checked the wire for a short, there are no splices, I was able to do a complete loop with the roll of wire provided.

By the way, we have the fence powered on maybe a couple hours on weekdays and maybe 10 hours on weekends, no way near continuous use.
My dog has been very obedient not approaching the flags marking the limits of the yard even when the fence is not on, so we probably have the fence on way less than even the maximum times stated above.

Anyone out there dispute these calculations or have another suggestion why we may have seen such and increase?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I have an Innotek fence. I did not notice a big increase in my electric bill. Why not contact the Innotek company and find out if there could be any type of "ground leaking" (I really don't think the fence would work if it was "leaking"). Or maybe you have a bad radio unit. Look on your packaging for a toll free number. If you do not have the packaging anymore pm me and I will send you the number.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have to think your cost increase is from something other than the electric fence. Ours covers an acre and is on 24/7; while I've never calculated the cost, I would notice an increase of that size.

I would ask the electricity company to investigate. Other than air-conditioning, there's no other normal usage that could drive that big of an increase.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts