Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I made a puppy deposit for a Tamaskan to one of the two registered breeders in America. I am not a first time dog owner and this would be my fourth time owning a dog BUT it IS my first time ever getting a dog from a breeder as all my dogs have all been from shelters.

Is it common for breeders to not answer e-mails? I talked to this particular person's father (who is part of the breeding process) on phone prior to my deposit twice and then sent an e-mail with questions that went unanswered. Talked on the phoned again this time with the daughter and main breeder who curtly told me she'd answer my e-mails but still no luck. Talked on the phone a fourth time with the father and he told me they got like 50 e-mails a day and he'd make sure his daughter would get to mine on that specific day and even sent met three test e-mails to make sure he had my address right. Still nothing.

Is this normal with breeders? I am honestly completely new to the world of breeders so I am very much clueless to it all. Should I let this slide or do something about this? I feel like I'd be pestering them a LOT by calling them again for the fifth or so time but it is a new family member that is supposed to arrive in about three months from what they've told me so constant communication is key, right? Or am I going about this the wrong way?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't have a lot of breeder experience.

However, you actually paid a deposit to the breeder. You are not someone who just wants to ask a million questions & waste their time. I think anyone who has a deposit on a puppy (or has a puppy) should be a higher priority response.

If the puppy is not expected home for 3 months, then it does not sound like it is due to a recent birth.

I would call & ask what the preferred method for questions are. Maybe they would prefer to just schedule a time to answer the questions over the phone. Some people are not comfortable with email or get overwhelming numbers of email. As long as you get a response (phone or email), I think it is reasonable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, they don't have my puppy yet as I'm on a waiting list but they told me a new litter is coming up really soon and I'll get to pick one soon, so I'm being a bit overzealous in trying to establish steady communication with the breeders while at the same time trying not to pester them too much. I have no idea how much contact with breeders is good etiquette and what my expectations in terms of communication with them should be.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have contacted several breeders inquiring about puppies and for the most part received responses within a reasonable amount of time. I have only bought 1 puppy from a breeder and she has answered any questions no matter how small or trivial promptly.

·
Registered
434 Posts
... Are the deposits refundable?

I'm guessing since you said "one of two" breeders in the US, that you went with Blustag or Ratliff... Did you research them before hand? There are more than two Tamaskan breeders in the US, the TCA only has two breeders for a reason... Other Tamaskan breeders can be found here: Tamaskan Dog Register

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I see a red flag....hope you don't lose your deposit.
Yup, me too. An e-mail going unanswered is perhaps okay, but repeatedly calling and asking for answers to your questions without getting a response... I'd be upset.

I'm in the process of buying a Great Dane puppy and the breeder answers my e-mails within 12 hours and texts me photos of my puppy every Wednesday. She says I can feel free to call her at any time and she will answer or return my call the same day.

The litter is on the ground, 10 puppies, and she is helping to raise 9 grandchildren under the age of 9. She owns 5 adult Great Danes and 4 Boxers. If she has time to answer me within 24 hours, I really can't imagine any circumstances under which a breeder couldn't do the same for you.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
breeders are as varied as, say, car mechanics. There are some good ones who play fair and square and know what they're doing. Some of the good ones may be grumpy and not real good at dealing with the public. There are some that think they know more than they do. There are some who advertse and don't deliver. There are some absolute scum bags. . . . maybe even a few criminals. You have to research your breeder.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would say constant communication would be a bit extreme, there's only so much that can be discussed and they are running a business and may be a bit annoyed, especially if they already covered your questions. But a email response for anything not covered would be appropriate.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I would be concerned too. My breeder now gets back to me within 24 hours. My most recent question, was what puppy food did she recomend. Not a pressing question, but there was response waiting for me the next morning. The litter is also not on the ground yet.

I don't think it matters, deposit, no deposit, future litter or on the ground now. You are the future owner of one of their babies and should make the time to answer your questions.

And sandgrubber is right, all breeders are different. Our sheltie breeder was an instant reply, with a story on top. She even taught me about lines and how to read them, just for the hell of it. Royce's breeder, answered questions. The end. My breeder now answers question, and then a little add on. Common thing between them though, they all replied and answered questions. Not every breeder has to be your pen pal, but they should be responding.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I lost my job unexpectedly and didn't feel I could commit to a puppy at the time. I was getting prepared to pay 1000 dollars for an Aussie. I put down a 200 dollar "refundable" deposit. I specifically decided not to choose someone who had a non refundable deposit because I wanted the option to change my mind. She decided to change her policy when I requested the 200 back and said her policy was changing and deposits were now non refundable. Therefore, I lost 200 in the process. So I have experienced horrible breeder experiences and this sounds like a red flag

First, will they answer your questions over the phone?

Three months is soon enough that there should be a birth date and you should be getting updates on a coming home date and a date of birth as well as a date you can choose your puppy. We're any of these spoken of, or is it just "soon"?

Is the deposit stated as "refundable"?

I'd be careful :/ when looking for an Aussie before I obtained Cosmo I put up some ads and people tried to scam me left and right, saying they'd send me the puppy to my doorstep with some kind of fake service or I could pick the puppy up at an airport, and I just had to send them money through PayPal.

Sounds like some red flags in your situation, but it's also really good that they're returning your calls and speaking to you over the phone. You have a phone number and a way of tracking him down which most scammers won't give out. Do you have an address? If possible I would visit and look at the parents. This is something good breeders SHOULD allow you to do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
... Are the deposits refundable?

I'm guessing since you said "one of two" breeders in the US, that you went with Blustag or Ratliff... Did you research them before hand? There are more than two Tamaskan breeders in the US, the TCA only has two breeders for a reason... Other Tamaskan breeders can be found here: Tamaskan Dog Register
Yeah, I went with Blustag. My dad and I did as much research as we thought was necessary on them and they seemed trustworthy but since we are so inexperienced with breeders maybe we should have done something differently, I'm not sure.
We talked to the father of the two on phone before depositing and although he was a bit short in his answers he answered all our questions there and so we made a deposit. The deposits are not refundable once made which we werw fine with.

My emails sent to them have questions to them about any health issues I should watch out for when my Tamaskan grows up as there doesn't seem to be too much information on that out there and other health related topics. I thought those would be better to cover in written format but I have not gotten a reply.

I don't intend to bash these breeders at all as they might have perfectly valid reasons for not replying but as I've never dealt with a breeder before, i really wanted to know if this was the norm or if I should be worried. What should I do about this? I certainly don't want to be THAT person constantly pestering them if this is normal but at the same time I would ideally like to have steady communication like many of you seemed to have with your breeders.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
IME, it's not uncommon for breeders to not answer emails or be short on communication. I decided that I didn't want to get a pup from someone who wouldn't communicate with me in a timely manner and answer my questions. I'm in a rare breed and I was able to find breeders who communicated better, but your breed is even more rare and you don't have a lot of options.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
IME, it's not uncommon for breeders to not answer emails or be short on communication. I decided that I didn't want to get a pup from someone who wouldn't communicate with me in a timely manner and answer my questions. I'm in a rare breed and I was able to find breeders who communicated better, but your breed is even more rare and you don't have a lot of options.
I had two breeders who just didn't communicate....emails/fb msgs to one went either unanswered or they responded, with an application but answered no questions. It's a shame, one lives an hour away, other had 2 available pups a couple weeks ago but I'm waiting. How do I know they'd be responsive after I got a puppy from them?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I hadn't looked at the website before but being one of only two tamaskan breeders in america I'm betting they're legit. They pop up first on Google, they seem to be very busy, and they have a litter of available puppies they're probably caring for. They have lots of good reviews and letters from past owners on their site and they seem to put a lot of work into their site. They have a lot of pictures that aren't found anywhere else on the Internet which means that they took the photos, meaning they own all of those puppies and dogs. They also give about 20 pictures per puppy so that's an excellent sign. All of their puppies seem in good shape and their adults seem very healthy.

They're probably busy, they likely have very high demand and a lot of emails. I wouldn't be too alarmed, and I'm sure they'll answer you when they can. I'd try getting some important questions answered over the phone, but in the meantime I feel you have nothing to worry about!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hadn't looked at the website before but being one of only two tamaskan breeders in america I'm betting they're legit. They pop up first on Google, they seem to be very busy, and they have a litter of available puppies they're probably caring for. They have lots of good reviews and letters from past owners on their site and they seem to put a lot of work into their site. They have a lot of pictures that aren't found anywhere else on the Internet which means that they took the photos, meaning they own all of those puppies and dogs. They also give about 20 pictures per puppy so that's an excellent sign. All of their puppies seem in good shape and their adults seem very healthy.

They're probably busy, they likely have very high demand and a lot of emails. I wouldn't be too alarmed, and I'm sure they'll answer you when they can. I'd try getting some important questions answered over the phone, but in the meantime I feel you have nothing to worry about!
Oh thank you! This does put my mind much more at ease, thank you! They did seem quite trustworthy when we looked them up so I'm glad it seems we made the right choice! I'll just be patient and wait some more then.

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
The breeder I got my Alaskan Klee Kai from (who lives quite far away from me) is not big on emailing. She'd reply to my questions, but it sometimes took a couple of days and the response would only be three sentences long. However, she answered every question I had when we spoke on the phone, and I knew she was reputable because I spoke to a couple of different puppy buyers who had visited her in person (one of whom is now also an AKK breeder who she ended up mentoring). She also owns a business (retail, unrelated to dogs), so she's a busy woman. Your breeders are probably busy, probably get a lot of emails and phone calls, and probably would rather speak to you about specifics once the pups are born and they know for sure that you're getting one from this upcoming litter. Sit tight and wait til the pups are born!

I hope you will stick around here and post photos of your pup once you get it!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Honestly, just based off their websites, there are so many red flags that I would have to meet the breeder in person and get my hands on their dogs before I would consider either one. You've already paid a non refundable deposit, so what's done is done. Unfortunately your breeder choices are very limited because the breed is so "rare". But you've paid a significant amount of money they should be able to give even a simple response to your basic questions. I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Honestly, just based off their websites, there are so many red flags that I would have to meet the breeder in person and get my hands on their dogs before I would consider either one. You've already paid a non refundable deposit, so what's done is done. Unfortunately your breeder choices are very limited because the breed is so "rare". But you've paid a significant amount of money they should be able to give even a simple response to your basic questions. I hope it works out for you.
I'm confused, what red flags do you see?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts