Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has fallen in love with comfort retrievers after seeing them on the internet. I'd like to know if anyone is aware of any 'breeders'* of comfort retrievers in California, Oregon, Nevada or Arizona so that we might see them in person, and so that we potentially could add a pair to our family without forcing them to be shipped.

We're in the SF Bay Area, but anything in a 10 hour range (Portland to Pheonix) wouldn't be out of the question for us.

Thank you in advance.

*I am aware that CRs are not an actual recognized breed, and I understand the objections that some people have related to 'breeders' of mixed breed animals. However, I am still looking for this information, nonetheless.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Chances are you won't get it here....the only thing I'll tell you is go to a rescue, or buy a real Flat Coat or Golden.

The Flat Coat Community is pretty upset about the creation of these designer dogs as they've done their best to be breed guardians and prevent this kind of thing from happening.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Chances are you won't get it here....the only thing I'll tell you is go to a rescue, or buy a real Flat Coat or Golden.

The Flat Coat Community is pretty upset about the creation of these designer dogs as they've done their best to be breed guardians and prevent this kind of thing from happening.
Ditto what Xeph said :mad: It's a terrible shame.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Googling these designer breeds is enough to cause a rage induced stroke... :mad::( I wish now that I wasn't curious.

Sickening.

·
Banned
352 Posts
I went to the "Comfort Retrievers" website, and had the best laugh in quite a while.
The thing about the "health checked all the dogs" and that the crosses "are healthier than the parents" really had me rolling. Then there was the "hybrid vigor" part that was equally funny.
Cute dogs, no doubt. But I wish they wouldnt make claims that cannot be backed up scientifically, behaviorally, or given standards by which to measure by.
If they are going to lie, at least start small and get bigger, dont start out with a whopper and expect not to be called on it.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I see no where on these websites where they guarantee the health of their dogs for at least two years. or proof of health checks. Are you willing to buy a dog that could die from a hereditary disorder. Doesn't matter if your mixing two different breeds they are still dogs and can still pass on health problems to their puppies. cocker spaniels and Goldens are high energy dogs, and are known for getting nippy if not properly socialized. Only support a breeder who cares enough about their dogs to do health checks like hips, eyes, elbows, ect. The health of a dog can not be told from looking at it on the outside.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
wow. Just when I thought I'd seen it all. Good posts above.

To the original poster - rather than contribute to people who are making money off their dog's reproductive systems for no purpose other than to populate the world with even more unpedigree'd, un-health tested dogs....do the world a favor and save a life rescuing a mixed breed at your local shelter or rescue group. Retrievers and cockers are quite common breeds....i'm sure that mix is not unheard of.

Or will you be part of the "I want what I want when I want it because I want it and I don't care about anything else" problem.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Just another way to rip off new unsuspecting dog owners! How much do these one's go for? $1000, $2000!!!??

I have a hybrid too then, Husky/Shepherd...just haven't thought of a catchy cute name for her yet..oh darn forgot she's spayed!

She has the cute curled Husky tail and the colouring of a Shepherd, smart like the Shepherd and loves to play and run like the Husky. Oh and she doesn't blow her coat like a Husky does. There, fits the bill perfectly but I wouldn't call her hypoallergenic...have to work on that!!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Just another way to rip off new unsuspecting dog owners! How much do these one's go for? $1000, $2000!!!??
One website I found was selling these mutts for $1800-$2000 each!!!!! :eek::mad:

I also have a "designer dog". He is a Schnorkie-Poo. I made that up all by my own self. But I guess I'm now part of the cool crowd. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

He cost me a whopping $100 from a county shelter.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Are they free? If not, it's a crock of manure. Run away.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
By the way, when I first heard about these dogs, they were Flat Coat x Golden, not Cocker Spaniel x Golden

·
Registered
467 Posts
Both links I posted also included Cavalier King Charles Spaniel x Golden.

Seems like it can be whatever you want. Oy.

·
Registered
823 Posts
That "dakota winds" website almost made me throw up. Did you see all those mixes? Labbes (Lab x Beagle)? Minute Hounds? What?? And they even go so far as to say, "we do not breed mutts, we are developing new breeds!"... really?!?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Did you see some of the labs they use to make the Labbes? Those aren't labs. They are mutts of some sort, but they aren't labs. What is a red fox lab?

And the Dakota Shepards, I mean, they are just mutts. I could find those mixes at any shelter anywhere in the country on any given day. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Bayley cost me 150.00. Could be cause no one's come up with a cute name for a Shep/Husky mix. Although in Agility clubs here in Canada, she'd be an All Canadian..which I do like :)

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I know what you mean! it takes DECADES to create a breed, such as the case with Doberman Pinschers. You have to start out with a plan, and breed for that idea, not randomly pair breeds. URGH.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts