Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 week old puppy does not listen when I call her, I know she is a puppy and that's probably normal, but what can I do to train her to come? Any ideas are greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
First, never give the command unless you know she'll come or you have a way to insist.

Right now, you should be working on bonding and attention exercises more than formal obedience training. If she's not yet leash trained work on that. If she is keep a leash attached to her collar when you are with her so that you have a way to get her.

Play games with her such as doggy versions of follow the leader and hide and seek. These can provide a fun, positive foundation for later,formal training. One, fun thing to do is to drop an occasional treat out of your mouth to the pup. They soon learn to look up at you that way. This is a fun attention game. You can also teach the pup to touch thing with her nose (target).

For come, try running backward, calling her in an excited voice. When she comes praise her like crazy and then let her return to the fun. Don't always make coming mean the end of the fun.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
This thread has some helpful tips:
http://www.dogforums.com/3-dog-training-forum/48024-problems-off-lead.html

Start slow. Take it easy. Don't expect her to come to you if she's playing with her favourite toy or if someone else in the room has a treat in their hand. For now, just keep praising her and rewarding her for coming to you on her own accord. Squatting on the ground, stretching out your arms (like a hug), calling her name excitedly or running backwards can help.

Make coming to you a very rewarding experience, all the time, even if it's delayed. Never call her over for something unpleasant, like a punishment or even something she doesn't like (ear-cleaning, for example).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts