Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting Roxy to come when I tell her the past few days and today I started in the garden as there are a few distractions. I want to bring her to a park and try it. It would be nice to try and get her to come on command but when I let her off in the park she only comes back to give me the ball to throw again or when she is tired.

So, any tips ???

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
you could try keeping her on a long line. The key is Don't give her the COME command unless you KNOW you will be able to correct her for not comming, or you know she will come. The more she hears the "Come" command associated with nothing happening, the more she will become desensitized to it and it will have no effect.

·
Registered
207 Posts
In obedience classes we used a high value treat and flexi leads. Let the dog wander off on the flexi lead, when they are out a bit, use your command Roxy, COME and start reeling in the flexi leash with a lock, pull and retract combination until the dog is in front of you. Treat.
The flexi lead was actually great for this purpose and the only time I have ever used one. I used to use a 20 ft training rope but the flexi lead is quicker and easier without worrying about extra lead coiling around your feet or the dogs feet.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I'm constantly working on recall with my dogs. It's not that they have bad recall it's just that in my mind it's something that can't be polished enough. I work in my backyard and when I see my dogs coming to me, I call them, and give them a treat and affection when they get to me. This way, they associate great stuff with heading my direction. Granted, this is my yard where there are limited distractions, but any training in this department helps.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
One of the most common mistakes people make with recall, is expecting too much too soon. The dog is 80% reliable around the house and yard so they go and let him off the leash at the park. Then they get frustrated when Fido totally blows them off.

If your dog is 80% reliable with no distractions, you're still at the beginning of the process.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts