Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 month old puppy is struggling to learn "Come Here" because I'm not sure of the best way to train that command.

We frequent an off-leash park which she is quite fond of and, until recently, been very good with the boundaries, but yesterday she started to wander outside of the leash free area (the side walk). She did it on two of her visits to the park yesterday. The first time, she chased a dog she was playing with out to the side walk and on the second visit, she just pranced over to the side walk for no reason and just stood there. The park is not fenced in, so I want to train her to come to me when I request it. She sometimes has her sights latched on to following another dog, and therefore doesn't hear me. What are some affective methods to a) get her attention when she's focused on sniffing or following another dog, and b) to get her to come to me when called.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
There are a lot of good posts here on training recal. The big thing is the dog should not get any off-leash time in an unenclosed area if they don't have good recall. Recall is based about 80% on relationship and 20% on training IMHO. The dog needs to know that good things happen when they come to you. I slap my thigh twice and Zero comes running. Brutus looks at me and says, "Really, fool, why don't you come over here if you want to talk to me. Seriously. Wait, a minute. Do you have food? No. Not interested." I've done the same ammount of training on recall with both of them, but Brutus being an a more independent breed is not so good in this regard as Zero is.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
the best recall advice I ever heard..

a. don't call dog's name over and over and over. Call the dog's name once...if dog doesn't come...CALMLY go get dog.

b. Don't call dog's name angrily. if Rover thinks he's in trouble...he's that much less likely to come.

c. Make your dog's name a recall cue. and then for an emergency recall, train with a word like "come"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts