Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am open for training my methods, but I am having a bugging issue.

My dog is a German Shepherd 8 month old pup. Somewhere along the way I have done some training incorrectly on my behalf.

Most of the time, he will come on command. However, it is the times I am scared of that he does not come on command. Or sometimes, he will come to me and run past me. However, he is not a wild dog off the leash and will NOT run away as far as he can run. He usually stays near me. Sometimes to reel him back in, I have to hide behind something and tell him to find me.

I really want to teach him the come command meaning, stop what you are doing and come to me and wait for my next order. My co-worker brags about his training that he took his 4-5 month old dog and it comes on command just in this fashion. He said that even his older dogs were taught the same way.

His methods do not meet with mine by being a little abusive to the dog to teach it to mind. When it does not come, he wacks it a few times. Then he said it always comes no matter what situation it is in.

I was wanting some feedback for what has worked with you and where have I gone a stray?

It is not the best but I have kept him active in Puppy Training and now we are in advanced training for Petsmart. I try to do stuff with him on weekends and during the week I usually put him in Dog Daycare or will have someone watch him for me while I am gone (a family member).

Thanks for feedback.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
First thing: don't compare your dog to somebody else's dog.

Second thing: never ever compare your dog to what somebody else says about his dog. If you actually saw his dog, you might detect a bit of daylight between what's claimed and what can be demonstrated. This is more common than you may think.

Third thing: an 8 month old pup can be nearly unrecognizable when compared to the same dog at 4-5 months. When my Golden was 4-5 months old, he was heeling and automatic sitting and coming when called. At 6-7 months, he was all "You're not the boss of me!".

Finally: there are numerous methods that will get you where you want to go with your pup. You should only ever do what you are comfortable doing. If your friend's dog has been trained cower when he approaches, or shies from his hand (I'm betting), he has failed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Curb Side Prophet (1st reply), Thank you for the link. The first link was an ad for the movie the second link talks about. After searching the site, I found the first part of that pdf to the link you provided on the site. There is a part 1 and 2. Part 2 was the correct version but it helped to review part 1. It helped me and I came home and applied some of the methods. To my surprise, it helped. I have not taught him a "emergency come command," but will be working on it soon.

What happened is I stopped working the baby tricks and worked more on the advanced tricks forgetting about working the come command on a longer leash. Thus what happened is he knew to come for certain situations but the rest was up to him to decide - which is bad. I also found that I was using the same hand command to try to make him "sit" that I also use for "find." I was confusing him and he would never do what I wanted because he was trying to sniff the ground. And I would get flustered but it was all my fault. So, in very few words, you have helped much.

Now, Marsh Muppet (2nd reply), thank you for the words. I must admit I just read your reply at now but it was very inspiring. You helped me connect some missing pieces that were in the air floating. Although, he has said he has done this with his dogs before, I dont ever hear him talking about taking his dogs away from his house. I think it is easier to teach any dog to come at home than to teach them to come in a dog park or anywhere outside of home <<give or take a few exceptions>>.

I do agree with you about cowering too. If he has learned to cower, the trainer has failed. Marsh, you know what is funny is I was thinking about it earlier today after I posted this and he has admitted his previous dogs, or at least one I remembered, had an anger issue with strangers but the dog still respected him. I wonder why the dog had issues. :)

I was worried I was doing something wrong but after reading the link from the first post and actually have a good training session today, I think I was worried for nothing. I just need to spend more time reviewing over the basics.

In closing, with my extra boost of confidence I gained my dog is actually coming to me from a long lead even without holding the lead and siting right next to me like he should in heel (but was not before) and even with some treat distractions. I am so happy. We learned 2 tricks in one day (sit by my side on come and come with distractions). I just have figured out I was trying to use the same hand command for two tricks. Sorry for long winded reply but I am happy. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts