Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This popped up as a share on Denise Fenzi's Face Book page/wall as a fully public post. ( https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...eJTvoPv8R9xSxUYfjMwvR4kU1l&id=100000666150032 )

The Chromatic teaching guide developed by CB Wing to describe dog training technique
as opposed to the typical monikers of "purely positive" or "balanced trainer" etc.

This color range chart is interesting. Ms. Fenzi describes herself as mostly yellow.

I am mostly in the green range.
Depending on the dog and the circumstance all the ranges have value.

Product Human Slope Organism Font

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@DaySleepers I was a little concerned about sharing this and forum rules but I gave credit to the author and where I got it from and that is was shared "publicly."

CB Wing is a School Teacher as well as a dog trainer.

I thought the chart was so much better and far more clear than the age old discussion of quadrants which can be confusing just by how they are named.

I spend most of my time in "orange" but because I will use corrections I end up in Green.

Being clear with your dog is the biggest challenge. We all are messy at times and the dog's response tells us this!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good grief.

There seem to be those here who feel such animosity toward anything I post they simply tear down with negativity.

Here's a novel idea.. instead of tearing this apart based on your feelings do something constructive.

Change it. Make it better. Do your own and post it.

FYI: Red-orange-yellow-blue-green-violet is the visible light spectrum. That's all it is! Nothing more!

The chart has a slope to allow for the graphic designer to put the verbage in the lower right hand corner.

Make your own color chart if you don't like this one. Reverse the Spectrum. Change the slope. Use different words.
It's an idea. It's just dog training. It was shared on FB by Denise Fenzi, a dog trainer frequently linked on this forum. The chart was authored by someone Denise Fenzi apparently follows.

That's all it is.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's always better not to find insult where none was intended. From what I know of Denise Fenzi, she wouldn't be one to denigrate positive training. I bet she also doesn't much care about people who think their way is better than hers.
Denise Fenzi makes quite a lot of $$$$ selling her online courses. She has a method/formula that (apparently) appeals to a broad base of subscribers. She has no need to care about someone stating "but my way is better."

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's the revised chart from the link LeoRose posted, taking into account many of the concerns Toedtoes mentioned:

View attachment 266829

Including removing mentions of "purely positive" and adding more clarity to both extremes. It even now explicitly calls out that individual dogs may use different color ranges, and that this is about which color you primarily identify with, leaving room for everyone to have flexibility and the ability to "train the dog in front of them". I think it's unfair to assume the author was intentionally trying to malign positive training methods given how receptive they were to suggestions for improvement.

But honestly, there's no easy chart that's going to cover every nuace and circumstance in dog training, and expecting this one to do so is unrealistic. Its point is to illustrate the range of philosophies and approaches in dog training, and the color spectrum was used to indicate that most of us are going to be a blend of approaches, not in the extreme camps some of the training discourse likes to default to. It also doesn't appear to be meant to address behavior modification (by which I mean here addressing the dog's emotional state) at all, just broad approaches to training simple behaviors, so I personally find it acceptable that it doesn't try to shoehorn in processes like CC and DS.

I do confess that if I saw dog trainers going around saying "I'm a blue! I'm a yellow!" I'd think it was that color personality test that's popular in business guru/self help spheres at first!
What a positive post. Thank you.

The chart author was open to suggestions for change.

Dog trainers should be just as open to change.

What bothered me about a couple of the responses was the complete negativity.. finding nothing much good to say. I think it's a common internet/social media behavior and I dislike it much. I have been guilty of it as well. I work NOT to be and try to catch myself when I do.

Perhaps trying to start what you have to say with "while it is obvious a good effort was made here, I have some issues.." then proceed to point out the good first and then the not so good (or the other way around).

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My favorite color is a blue sky, light wind, a few grey clouds, dew points in the 50's or less and a rural view (from the reds and browns of desert to the greens and blues of the mountains) and temperatures in the 60's.... and NO PEOPLE! HaHa!

I studied light physics as part of my degree in Geography/Remote sensing/photogrammetry degree. Used it in optical geology too.

Light is photons.. which can behave like both energy and matter. That's a difficult concept the more you study it.

All I saw with the Chromatic Chart was a representation of the visible light spectrum (a very tiny part of the light spectrum). I thought it was kind of pretty and I liked the blurring (a very real thing in that spectrum) allowing the observer to understand the edges between methodologies are not finite.

I bet if it were reversed fault would still be found with what color represented each "sector" especially if you don't like the color of your main method. I bet if it were all shades of grey or even pink or blue fault would still be found.

"But my chosen method is too (dark/light/lacking SOMETHING" and so the originator is being passive aggressive against that method.... "

Instead of a linear representation perhaps a CIRCLE would have been better? Then training with no food rewards would be next to training with only food rewards..... :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts